chrome T-Type Wheels

enruco

Does anybody have a good source and maybe a ball park price for having these wheels chromed? I live in Northeast Ohio but would be fine with sending them to a recomended place.

hello people; Are you talking about the ruff, porous T-type wheels? I havn't seen anyone chroming them and I would not do it unless you smoothed out the whole surface. Maybe P/C would work but talk to a plating shop and describe what you got and see what he says. I'd like to know what he says.
IBBY
how's my spelling

Yes, they are the standard ruff alum. T-Type wheels. A few months ago I saw a pic on here of a grey or silver T that had his done and it was killer. Now that you mention it they may have been smoothed out.

hello people; Speaking of chrome wheels I wonder if a old Buick wheel would fit our cars? The ones that use to be on Skylarks,GS's,and others.
IBBY

Not to get off topic, but I remember back in the days before GMP diecast models. I made a model of my TR out of a Grand National kit and I had to buy a model of the Dukes of Hazzard General Lee to get the similar wheels. :)

By doing a search I found a couple referances to chrome T wheels. One guy said you can get them at G Body parts but I cant find them there. In March 2009 a guy called UnderdogGN had a set 4 sale with nice pics. They had not been smoothed, so I guess it can be done.

They can be polished out. I know of two cars from the Atlanta area that had them polished but I do not know the name of the person that did the work. My white car with the blue vinyl half padded landau top and T-Top is one and Geven Aston's silver car are the two that had the stock wheels polished out. Possibly others too but no tothers that I know of.... Both mine and Geven's cars have been at Reynolds over the years. I'm planning to take my car again this year (didn't make last yrs event). They look good especially after detailing then with some Mother's polish. Practically looks like chrome. Both cars I referenced have the wide Limited chrome rockers and trim (factory stock) so the polished rims really fits and accents the chrome package.

jlat- the early GS chrome wheels will fit fine on our cars. I actually have a full size 15" spare I use from time to time on my TR that I had from when I owned my old GS. 4 3/4" offset if memory serves me? There's a recent thread on this topic on this board too with pics.

Yes, they are the standard ruff alum. T-Type wheels. A few months ago I saw a pic on here of a grey or silver T that had his done and it was killer. Now that you mention it they may have been smoothed out.

You may be thinking of the posts by Turbo1dr with his silver Turbo T. He had the wheels powder coated and looked great, almost like chrome. I know I'd like to have my wheels done the same way. If you search, there is a posting where he details the restoration of the car and the refinishing of the wheels. Here's how the wheels look. HIGH-RESOLUTION/DSCF0551.JPG

Here's a link to his website for the Turbo T restoration.
1987 Buick Turbo Regal - Restored

Here are my thoughts as I have seen not only chrome T rims but various options polished.

Plus since get many parts chrome plated I am fairly familar with what is involved.

Chroming only reflects how good the prep work is. The T rim as has been pointed out in this thread with its coarse (rough) surface does not lend it self to looking good chrome plated.

One option I have seen in several cases is polishing the outer lip, and the smoke thin spokes
instead. I have seen a chrome set on a black car and it just did not look rite. Again my opinion but costly to do if the end result is something you may not like.

The bolt pattern on the wheels is a popular bolt pattern so many many other GM wheels will fit if you explore other ideas....one option is to get hold of a hollander wheel book jnk yards have them usually then hunt down a set you like on ebay.

Very easy to jump up to a 16 by 8 rim.

Again this is my opinion but I have seen both chrome and polished T rims.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I like the T-wheels chromed :D Sorry they were done I few years ago and don't remember who did them, but it does give you an idea of what they look like.

Attachments

• 101_3840.111JPG.jpg
    101_3840.111JPG.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 433
  • 101_3843.jpg
    101_3843.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 448
  • 101_3841.jpg
    101_3841.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 665
We have chromed about 8 sets of T-wheels. The last one was for Tom in VA.
For the wheels to look their best there is a lot of machining involved. The chrome will hide very minor flaws but to look perfect the centers must be machined down smooth. I have seen them done with out the centers being machined & they look good from 10'. Your paying more for the prep work then the actual chroming.

Thanks for all the great posts and pics. It was the car in the Youtube vid that got me loving the look. Thanks Turboc87gn for posting it. Hey Bweavy, could you give me any idea what it would cost for a set done " right "? I dont really want to go with aftermarket rims as want to keep her kind of stock looking, if you know what I mean ? I always hear how light these wheels are too. Stock looking and fast is the way to go for me.

Chrome t wheels

Al reed polishing in anaheim california chrome plated mine, they came back flawless!!! Actually looks better imo with the pourous cast finish left as is, gave a little contrast to the wheel. Shipping to ca was $100.00 for all four. Al charged $440.00 for all four and shipping back was $100.00. Well worth it!!

Tim

Lets see some pics with with the pourous cast finish left as is, gave a little contrast to the wheel...

Contrast

Sold the wheels to a guy in northwestern indiana, i think i have some pics on my office computer i'll check monday.

Do a search of all posts by UnderdogGN and on page 11 the 15th item with a link to take you to his pics of the chrome wheels. Now I really want to do it.

Chromed t wheels :)

nw ind. guy here .......underdogs old rims are still on my we4 :wink: no pics yet ALEX