Chrome Shop

CST 03

UBENBIT
Does anyone know of a good chrome shop in the Pittsburgh area that will re-chrome GN rims?

Thanks

This guy is not local but he did about 7 sets for me now. They all come out amazing!

True Design Wheel

He cuts the hub away and re-chromes it and powder coats the black area's and then welds a new chrome ring around it. He can make them as wide as 10" as well.

I just got these back from him....

3900715757_82a03c9e7f_o.jpg

Looks great! I have a set of low mileage wheels here that just need the black redone. Would they just do that?? Looking to sell them eventually as I have no intention of going back to stock at this point.:biggrin:

Looks great! I have a set of low mileage wheels here that just need the black redone. Would they just do that?? Looking to sell them eventually as I have no intention of going back to stock at this point.:biggrin:

OMG Mark lazy!! :tongue: I actually re shot a few of my stock rims before I knew about TDW. It's actually easy. You need a few new razor blades and a roll of blue painters tape. I taped off the entire rim with the blue painters tape and then gently cut out all the squares and center area with a razor blade. I then shot a few coats of satin black on them. Came out really nice. Take some cleaner and clean the rims well first and some light paint thinner on a rag wipe down the black area's before you paint to knock off the loose stuff and prep the rim for paint. :cool:

OMG Mark lazy!! :tongue: I actually re shot a few of my stock rims before I knew about TDW. It's actually easy. You need a few new razor blades and a roll of blue painters tape. I taped off the entire rim with the blue painters tape and then gently cut out all the squares and center area with a razor blade. I then shot a few coats of satin black on them. Came out really nice. Take some cleaner and clean the rims well first and some light paint thinner on a rag wipe down the black area's before you paint to knock off the loose stuff and prep the rim for paint. :cool:

This guy is not local but he did about 7 sets for me now. They all come out amazing!

True Design Wheel

He cuts the hub away and re-chromes it and powder coats the black area's and then welds a new chrome ring around it. He can make them as wide as 10" as well.

I just got these back from him....

3900715757_82a03c9e7f_o.jpg

Hot damn! Those things look sweet. If you don't mind me asking. What did he charge you? Thanks

That's the best part. The price was FREE!! :biggrin: I actually collect GN rims here and there when I see them locally for sale and he buys the cores. So I sent him a huge skid of GN rims and I see how much he pays me for the cores and that's how many new GN rims I'll get made. I picked up most of the used GN rims for around 200 a set or even less. GN rims had such crap chrome on them used ones usually sell cheap because the chrome is usually shot and they are so heavy no one wants to bother with them. He also buys T type and GTA cores. So if you catch him at the right time he will buy them. I think the most GN rims I sent to him at one time was around 25 rims. Makes me feel good because those rims will be redone and used again rather then wind up in a landfill or sit in someone's garage for 40 years and then thrown away! It's best to call Jim up and tell him what you have and what you want. If you have an extra set of GN rims laying around you might want to send him some extras and wheel and deal with him. Just so you guys know he's an older school guy if you know what I mean. So call him rather then e-mail him and you'll have better results.

That's the best part. The price was FREE!! :biggrin: I actually collect GN rims here and there when I see them locally for sale and he buys the cores. So I sent him a huge skid of GN rims and I see how much he pays me for the cores and that's how many new GN rims I'll get made. I picked up most of the used GN rims for around 200 a set or even less. GN rims had such crap chrome on them used ones usually sell cheap because the chrome is usually shot and they are so heavy no one wants to bother with them. He also buys T type and GTA cores. So if you catch him at the right time he will buy them. I think the most GN rims I sent to him at one time was around 25 rims. Makes me feel good because those rims will be redone and used again rather then wind up in a landfill or sit in someone's garage for 40 years and then thrown away! It's best to call Jim up and tell him what you have and what you want. If you have an extra set of GN rims laying around you might want to send him some extras and wheel and deal with him. Just so you guys know he's an older school guy if you know what I mean. So call him rather then e-mail him and you'll have better results.

Are you interested in selling any of the ones you had re-chromed? Maybe we can make a deal if i give you mine towards credit for 4, you had redone.

Please, please, pretty please:D

Are you interested in selling any of the ones you had re-chromed? Maybe we can make a deal if i give you mine towards credit for 4, you had redone.

Please, please, pretty please:D

Sorry my friend I would but I'm finally all set for rims. I have all new ones on my 87 with the rears the widened ones and I have a nice new set that is going on my 86 GN as soon as I mount the Eagle GT's to them. I had 2 extra ones but I traded a guy for an engine for them :D Along the way I had some other local friends jump on my orders but hopefully I'm done playing around with these rims! :)

Sorry my friend I would but I'm finally all set for rims. I have all new ones on my 87 with the rears the widened ones and I have a nice new set that is going on my 86 GN as soon as I mount the Eagle GT's to them. I had 2 extra ones but I traded a guy for an engine for them :D Along the way I had some other local friends jump on my orders but hopefully I'm done playing around with these rims! :)

I understand. If you change your mind please keep me in mind.