Chris, It's not a CNC but I'm getting there...

jakeshoe

DSCN0019.jpg

That's how it starts.

Nice mill! I started out with a little millrite, now machines are everywhere.

congrats.
Mike

Looks like my shop. Show us some of the stuff you've been making.

Don,
The mill just arrived yesterday. I still have to run power to it and buy some tooling.
Then learn how to run it ;)

I'm certified by ASE as a Master Engine Machinist (on top of the Master Auto Tech, L1, etc) but I'm used to using job specific machines like engine boring bars, rod hones, head machines, surfacing equipment, etc.

The Bridgeport is the all in one but not the quick easy setup. So I'll have a learning curve.

How much does that thing weigh? and how did you move it? :eek: :eek:

About 2200 lbs.
Very carefully....

The guy who delivered it has done it a time or two :)
He refurbishes them. This one has had the head rebuilt. He hadn't gotten a chance to repaint it yet but that's fine with me.

He had a tilt bed trailer and steel barstock that we used to winch it off the trailer onto the floor and roll it into place.

They're a piece of cake to run. You'll be on top of it quick enough. Power feeds for the table are a very nice thing to have.

It's really not the cost of a good used machine. It's the tooling that will get ya.

Finding a decent Bridgeport can be difficult.
I bought this one from a retired gentleman that refurbishes them.
He was all business, but the machine seems to be exactly as described. Very tight, smooth table operation, head has been rebuilt, phase converter installed, etc.

Any decent machine will cost $2000+ and that is without tooling.
You can find a nice machine with auto feeds, some tooling, etc for about $4500.

My budget was in between the two but the price was excellent for delivered to my shop and set in place.

Don and others,
any recommended tooling?
What do you recommend for a standard complement and any favorites that you can't live without?

I'll be making some trans parts with it, prototyping some stuff, general mill work, maybe some gunsmithing.

Finding a decent Bridgeport can be difficult.
I bought this one from a retired gentleman that refurbishes them.
He was all business, but the machine seems to be exactly as described. Very tight, smooth table operation, head has been rebuilt, phase converter installed, etc.

Any decent machine will cost $2000+ and that is without tooling.
You can find a nice machine with auto feeds, some tooling, etc for about $4500.

My budget was in between the two but the price was excellent for delivered to my shop and set in place.

Don and others,
any recommended tooling?
What do you recommend for a standard complement and any favorites that you can't live without?

I'll be making some trans parts with it, prototyping some stuff, general mill work, maybe some gunsmithing.

Clamping kit
At least one power feed for side to side table feed. X axis?
At least one dial or digital readout for the up and down feed. Z axis?
Precision mill vise
Rotary Index with 3 jaw chuck
Automatic boring/facing head
Milling bit holders 3/8", 3/4"

Oh there is much, much more.