Choose my cam!

tracer

INOV8
I have a basic recipe car with a TE-44, alcohol injection, MJ stretch, 3" DP, adj FP, blue tops and Red's fuel pump. I'm going to upgrade to champion irons and a cam. Probably also go with propane injection and a maf less ME setup once the bugs are worked out. Having a local shop with limited Buick knowledge do the cam and heads for me. In an effort to avoid break-in and wiped lobe issues, I thought I'd go with a roller. Would appreciate any suggestions regarding cam and vendor. Approximate cost would help too. Ultimate goal is 11.99 in street trim and pump gas. Thanks!

I have a very similar set up same turbo, no head work, and alky, misc. bolt ons, but I have .20 over je pistons, I am confident my car will ru 11.9 easy in street trim. I have a 212/212 cam, I will upgrade heads in a year or two, I am going to put a 218/218 cam in there, As of now lunati is one of the only cams in this grind that does not flatten lobes. You could put a 212/212 cam in and do more than meet your goal, plus it is super streetable, I drive my car everyday. You will also have ot look at injectors, right now I have 009's (42.5) when I do heads I am going to upgrade to 50 lbers, I hope this helps.

Sam

Thanks Sam. I forgot to mention that I will be upgrading to 50's when the heads go on.

Woody, why keep the stocker? Is my ET goal too high? I'm certainly willing to go quicker, but want to have some breathing room in the build up. Thanks.

Rob, is the weber a roller and am I right in putting in a roller as a hassle free replacement?

if high 11's is your goal, the stock cam will more than meet that objective, will keep you in a safer rpm range, and will be dead reliable

a bigger cam is not required until you look for low 11's and down

a billet roller can help if you want to turn up the r's........a 206 is dandy, but that alone won't make a big leap in performance...you'll need bigger everything to make the next step

so stick with the stocker until it won't go any faster

Originally posted by tracer
Rob, is the weber a roller and am I right in putting in a roller as a hassle free replacement?
No the cam is not roller. If you go roller it's a lot of money to go roller

.....helpppppppppppp!!! I'm slipping down the views and replies list fast with only opinions so far 212/212, 206/206 and stock. Please anybody, before I'm on page 2 and forgotten.

cam

i went 10.50s with a 214 if thats any help,but the stock cam will get you in the 11s

Dont waste your money on a bigger cam as this isn't a small block cheby. I did and it wiped a lobe after 6,000 miles. Put the stock one back in and it runs the same with better idle.

Won't say which reputable buick vendor i got it off of but it was designed for our cars....................................... Nuf Said

I went with the ESP 280/290 stage 3 cam at $160. And with the power plate, idles like a champ now and does not stop pulling up top.

I would agree on the guys on the stock cam, but if your plans are set on getting heads, your high 11 goal will last about as long as that first run at 24 psi. You will most likely want more, so go with an aftermarket cam and hope that Jays propane kit is the real deal for pump gas annihilation.

If you are worried about wiping cams, dry starting and oil coking on turbos after shut down, get a PRELUBER, the worries will stop.

86GN - TE-45(A), V4, 55's, ported steel, 214/214 Billet roller
10.93@123

Azgn at what boost level were you running to get that time? Just wondering cause im running the same setup only im using tha atr billet roller 214/210 not much of a difference.

tracer i would go 206-206 weber with your setup

Woody, do you ever plan on turning the boost up to say 27lbs and seeing what she'll run? Just curious cause it seems that your combo has a some left in it considering how conservative you run your car with only 23-24lbs of boost and 1490 EGTs!:D I'd think a mid 10 would be very possible considering your 60' times are in the high 1.4's.... correct me if I'm wrong:)

well, of course you are right....but every hp calculator I have looked at says I am making at least 600 hp at the flywheel.....I do not have a girdle....just steel caps....so why tempt fate? If I could just catch some decent air, the car will run mid 10's as is...so I'll just wait for that:)

(besides that, I have a single 340 pump and 55 injectors....the first thing I would do before anymore boost is 72 lbers and a double pumper....at least when it blows up, it won't be because it is knocking/lean:D )

I knew you had 55's, but I thought you had a double pumper.... either way you would definately need some 72's and a girdle couldn't hurt.... I guess your combo is maxed out as far as being on the safe side of things (better to be safe than sorry), but like you mentioned with some decent air you could easily see some mid 10's especially with that trans-brake launch that nets a high 1.4 60'.... maybe if you go to BG next year you can catch some decent air like some of the other members did:cool:

oh yeah...one of the locals went with his car and was instantly a 10.5 car vs 10.8 here......altitude & air make a difference!

look at Jason...10.3 in Vegas and 9.9 in BG!

If you spot a mushroom cloud out west, you'll know I dialed it up!

(but not until about Dec.....)