Choice for axles for 9 second car

I wouldnt mess around then. If your looking at 1.20 60's at that weight, go 35spline.

Will i spoke to the guys at Strange, and they said that with Aluminum housings that are mainly driven on the street would wear a specific groove nto the gears, and if i were then to take the thing to the track and beat on it there, it would then wear a second groove into the gears and eventually cause the gears to howl.

What do you think about the validity of this??? I really like the weight savings of the Aluminum housing but i do not want the thing to howl.

I don't know about the two groove theory but alot of it has to do with how the gears and diff are initially set up. The general consensus has always been that gear sets don't last as long in an aluminum center vs iron due to deflections in the aluminum. Honestly, if you want to save weight and don't mind the possibility of having to replace the gears a little more ofen - go with the aluminum center. Low 1.3s to high 1.2s are pretty lofty 60ft goals for a streetable car. You stated your car will be primarily street with little track so you'll probably be OK. I'll be running an aluminum center on my street car FWIW.

Will i spoke to the guys at Strange, and they said that with Aluminum housings that are mainly driven on the street would wear a specific groove nto the gears, and if i were then to take the thing to the track and beat on it there, it would then wear a second groove into the gears and eventually cause the gears to howl.

What do you think about the validity of this??? I really like the weight savings of the Aluminum housing but i do not want the thing to howl.

I'm thinking that Strange Engineering is a well known outfit, in the buisness of tough differential components. If they have an opinion, I would consider it. They see way more problems than all the rest of us combined.

the rearend in my car came out of a low 9 sec ride. it has 33 spline strange axles and a strange spool. i think nick micale was running 31 spline axles in his 9sec ride and one snaped not to long ago :eek:

My axle that broke was not a 31 spline. :mad:

It was a c-clip eliminator axle over 10 years old that I installed before the weld-on ends were available. I was going to replace the entire rear at the end of the season, but was a little late.:rolleyes:

This axle was not made like the ones using the pressed-on Ford bearing which has a thicker flange, which is where mine broke. It was a 30 spline, as there is no 31 spline for the GM 8.5 rear.

Since you have a Ford 9 inch, the 31 spline should be more than adaquate for what you are doing.

The 33 spline set like Brent has is a recent development for the 8.5.:)