Chip--Issues!

TurboRegal84

Staff member
I got my Chip in the mail today so that I could start to tune my car, and things like that.

But..I have a feeling the Chip, and the car don't Like eachother that much.

Upon the First WOT lauch and blast The boost guage shot up to 12psi then slowly dropped to 10psi, and the Knock Readings on scanmaster were very very High. And YES it was real knock..I heard it.

At the Highest point Scanmaster read 16.4* of Retart with a low o2 of 790.

I tried turning up the fuel pressure, but it did not help much.

The Chip was Burnt for my Combo, and he put 18* of timing on it (is the timing too high)

What is the stock timing for our cars. I used to be able to run 19psi with pump gas on my stock 84 Chip with the 84 ECM.

Now I am Hunting for a chip that is Just like the stock 84 Chip, but maybe a 1* timing advance, and I want it to be able to be used with the 87 ECM.

Please point me in the correct Direction..I dont think my car can take much more knock!

18degs is low. Make sure it is a ctually 18degs, not a race chip by mistake. When O2's are in the .76 to .8 range, add octane not FP. More fuel isn't always the answer for detonation. The car will probably run better at 15psi with .78 O2's and 0 knock than 20psi, .900 O2's and 0 knock.

Yeah it seems as though there is something wrong with the chip itself. Knock at idle? New chip time. Or get him to reprogram it as a performance '87 chip. It will work fine if the MAF/MAT stuff is working. As long as you make sure to specify your injector size and your chip matches, it should work fine. Pop a stocker '87 chip in for now if need be, try and borrow one from someone nearby and see what happens. Betcha it'll work fine :)

The chip may have gotten zapped somehow...not unheard of...get with Jim T about it...he should be able to help you out...If he don't know you are having problems with it, he can't help you...

Jim and I spoke, and he is sending me a new chip out with some things done diff. on it....I guess its Trial and error...hopefully this will be the last trial.