chip and injector question, what else do I need

trucky12

I have an 87 GN, all stock except for no catalytic to my eyes. I am going to be purchasing a turbo tweak chip with injectors package that are 42lb injectors. Do I need the bigger fuel pump like 340 and hotwire kit to make this a go, or just plug in new injectors and chip and go.
Also, do those cold air intakes for $300 worth the money or no.
I want to get a little more boost but nothing that can damage car and it seems the chip is best way. Please let me know what to do!!
Thank you

Do I need the bigger fuel pump like 340 and hotwire kit to make this a go,

I want to get a little more boost but nothing that can damage car and it seems the chip is best way. Please let me know what to do!!
Thank you

Yes you ABSOLUTELY need the pump and hotwire.... ALL TR's require this mod as the factory pump was baaarely adequate when it was brand new, and 22 years later??? :frown:

I believe the 'cold air kits' may help somewhat, but $300 worth OVER a simple open element K&N??? Not sure that it'd be real high on my priority list. A good exhaust system would likely be a better 'bang for the buck'. Cold air kit won't effect boost (maybe a tiny fraction)... boost can be adjusted via the wastegate actuator rod....

I have a TT chip for 42# injectors and stock engine components for sale if you want to save a bit more money!

There was an article in gm high tech magazine where they took an 87 gn, with 107,000 k on the clock and did some simple bolt on upgrades. If you go to the magazines website you can look up the article in the technical articles section. Hope this helps a bit.

I have an 87 GN, all stock except for no catalytic to my eyes. I am going to be purchasing a turbo tweak chip with injectors package that are 42lb injectors. Do I need the bigger fuel pump like 340 and hotwire kit to make this a go, or just plug in new injectors and chip and go.
Thank you

You need a good quality fuel pump to feed your bigger injectors. Replace that stocker and get good peace of mind. I am not a fan of cold air intakes and that money is better spent elsewhere. Take that cash and buy a good scan tool so you know your car's health. The best way to prevent damage to the car is to know exactly how it is running so you can tune it and turn up the wick slowly.

If you want a how to on fuel pump changes ... -> Cedar Crest Speedlab Technical Articles

My suggestions are (no special order):
1. Dutweiller neck on intercooler - turbo doesn't have to work quite so hard to make boost!
2. Fresh valve springs & valve cover gaskets (while you have VC's off) - We don't want valve float or leaking oil do we?
3. Fresh spark plugs, plug wires, replace all the ruber hoses - Plugs and wires will prevent misfires and hoses will prevengt vacuum leaks than can make engine run lean!
4. Fresh fuel filter - Lets the fuel pump work a little easier and keeps injectors clean and running well.
5. Fresh timing chain and gears and gaskets - A stretched chain will throw ignition off and a broken chain will result in bent valves
6. Fresh thermostat, gasket, radiator hoses, heater hoses - Don't want to overheat our new GN

Also, I agree that you need the 42 lb/hr (clean) injectors, a new chip, new hi-flow fuel pump, hot wire for the pump, high flow cat, 3" downpipe, scan tool and 2.5" cat-vback exhaust.

You do have a posi in the differential don't you. Are the clutches toast? With the new power, you WILL be traction limited!

Let it rip! Pitty those pesky Mustangs and Camaros

Hot Air
North Carolina

ps...check with Jack Cotton for all your needs

read read read

300$ on a cold air kit is going to be the biggest waste of money if you're looking for more boost/more power.

nobody really stated clearly that the chip itself will not get you more boost, but you do need a good (turbotweak) chip regardless.
you'll need an Adjustable Wastegate Actuator to increase boost if the car is bone stock,
get an RJC boost controller, or "rjc style" boost controller if you can't afford the name brand, this will help your boost tremendously

hotair gave you great suggestions too, and yes, don't forget the fuelpump and hotwiring, they are a MUST,

read this page 10 times before you spend a dime or turn a wrench:
Vortex Turbo Buick Performance

this will give you an idea what to do and when
Stock Drivetrain Recipe in Stages

youll want to look into http://alkycontrol.com/ too

oh and get a scanmaster

I am surprised no one mentioned an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Before you start flogging these cars you should have:
Boost Gauge (Not the one in the dash)
Fuel Pressure Gauge
Upgraded Fuel Pump with Hotwire Kit
Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator
Adjustable Wastegate Actuator
Scanmaster Scantool

Instead of purchasing a chip and injectors I would purchase the above items and get all of the boost you can out of your car. After a good tune from someone who knows what they are doing you should feel a nice performance gain.

I have read too many horror stories from new GN owners who just turned the boost up with no regard to fuel and knock...