Chilling water/alky before injection?

Jon E

How much more effective would the alky be if I were able to pull its temp way down before injecting it? Like putting the alky in the freezer over night, or packing the tank in ice etc.

Anyone ever experimented with this?

My guess would be that it would have a nominal effect. If the alky can cool a charge from around 200 degrees to around 60 degrees when the alky itself is probably around 130 degrees, cooling it down will add a little (it won't reach 130 degrees nearly as soon) but you wont see a serious power gain. If you want to experiment, try a little dry ice in the alky, it will get it down around -80 or so and will keep it there through the run if it doesn't clog the pump or anything else.

I'd be real careful of what kinda container I put dry ice in. Most plastic can get pretty brittle at -80. Run the discharge line thru a cool can or something like that maybe a better way to go. I'd also make sure there's NO water in the alcohol. It could freeze at the nozzle, causing more problems then its worth.

Originally posted by V6DVette
I'd also make sure there's NO water in the alcohol. It could freeze at the nozzle, causing more problems then its worth.

Since the water is in solution with the alcohol its freezing point is going to be much much lower than 32* F (which is why the Crown in my freezer doesnt freeze), which brings up another point. What if I were using mostly water with just enough alky to keep it from freezing? How much more effective would the water become at removing heat if it were injected at a very low temp, like 0*-10* F?

I'm thinking RAZOR is on vacation here....
I still wouldn't take the chance of getting an ice crystal in the nozzle at full boost.
I'm no expert on the thermal dynamics of water and alcohol but I know something about evaporation. The alcohol will be long gone at the nozzle leaving the water behind to freeze. I've seen it happen in a refer. system under pressure with the refrigerant at 180*. The water freezes in the orifice and blocks the flow. I know its not the same thing here but I think the principal is.
I'd go with striaght methanol. (and get that cold maybe)
After all the whole idea behind using alky is so we don't have to run different setups at the track or on the street. Kinda set it and forget it.
The "what ifs" are too high to maybe get...what? another 1/10? ;)

The "what ifs" are too high to maybe get...what? another 1/10? ;)

If If's were fifths we'd all be drunk:D

I agree that the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages, but it would be worth it for someone to try if they just happened to have a little dry ice at the track:) Not saying to dump a bunch in, just enough to cool it off and keep it cool till you are done with the run. If it works you could plumb a CO2 line into th eAlky bottle to cool it down whenever you want.

I'm thinking RAZOR is on vacation here....

Nah just working on the filter smilter issue :D

Dunno..straight methanol works pretty dang good by itself...if I need more..I just crank the knob.. easy.

I guess the question is if dropping the temps further has any benefit in the form of injecting a cooler mist?

I guess only on way to find out..anyone have some dry ice laying around :D

I may piddle with the idea at the track on thursday nite.. I'm getting to be quite the celebrity :rolleyes: they dont let me run if I dont wear my jacket.. "you running 11's?? who me?? nah.. Yep that was you runnin 11's...you'll have to pull your car back now sir and when you get your jacket on..pull back up to the line :rolleyes:

Sucks to be fast ;)