Child car seats in GN's and TR's

PerTURBOed

Hey Family guys out there!

Can one fit two child car seats or two booster seats in the rear seat no problemo?

Thanks in advance!

Yep, only problem is that most of the new seats are designed for three point belts so getting them to sit right with just a lap belt is tricky. The boosters were no problem though.

Done it several times! Biggest problem is keeping the brats from kicking the seat backs. I think if you pull the belt all the way out first it will ratchet back in to hold them tight, but that may be a different car................

Yep, only problem is that most of the new seats are designed for three point belts so getting them to sit right with just a lap belt is tricky. The boosters were no problem though.

I find it the opposite. The regular car seat was fine in the back, and boosters are designed for the shoulder strap 3 point belts.

Done it several times! Biggest problem is keeping the brats from kicking the seat backs. I think if you pull the belt all the way out first it will ratchet back in to hold them tight, but that may be a different car................

That and keeping them from pulling on your seat belt and chokeing you :mad:

I remember sitting in the back of these cars back in the the 90's and hating the non inertia locking seat belts. They just get tighter and tighter even though you just sit there. They're good for a car seat, except when you get to the point when you need to take it out, the dame belt is so tight, the latch doesn't want to disconnect when you push the button.

I find it the opposite. The regular car seat was fine in the back, and boosters are designed for the shoulder strap 3 point belts.

X2
Boosters are NOT supposed to be used with a lap belt only.
I drive alot in Mass and the law there says anyone under 4'9" or under age 8 must be in a booster. Had a whole big discussion about a year ago with a State Trooper about this because one of my kids (the smaller one) has to ride up front in a booster while the older one has to sit in the back with nothing. Can't use a booster with just a lap belt per manufacturers instructions. :confused:

Matt

Confusing

X2
Boosters are NOT supposed to be used with a lap belt only.
I drive alot in Mass and the law there says anyone under 4'9" or under age 8 must be in a booster. Had a whole big discussion about a year ago with a State Trooper about this because one of my kids (the smaller one) has to ride up front in a booster while the older one has to sit in the back with nothing. Can't use a booster with just a lap belt per manufacturers instructions. :confused:

Matt

Yup, I have the same problem. Luckily my son will be 8 in 11 days. My Daughter with be turing 5 in November and poses a tougher problem. Either she needs to sit in back with a full car seat with 5-point harness or up front with a booster. :confused:

I thought about the trunk though... Sure would be quieter!! :eek:

Yep...no booster with a lap belt only.

My 6yr old sits in the back seat without anything but the seat belt. There is no reason to do it any other way. The lap belt alone isn't going to restrain a full car seat in a crash.

The lap belt alone isn't going to restrain a full car seat in a crash.

That makes no sense. If it can hold a 200lb man, 60lbs of kid and car seat is a no brainer. Plus they have secondary straps that attach as well. But i have 100% faith that the lap belt in back will hold my kids in their car seat if need be.

That makes no sense. If it can hold a 200lb man, 60lbs of kid and car seat is a no brainer. Plus they have secondary straps that attach as well. But i have 100% faith that the lap belt in back will hold my kids in their car seat if need be.

If you have someplace to attach the top straps to, I'm sure that would work. I'm not going to set him on top of the seat belt with nothing holding the top of the car seat though. If these old cars had shoulder belts, I'd put him in a booster, and not worry about it.

If you have someplace to attach the top straps to, I'm sure that would work. I'm not going to set him on top of the seat belt with nothing holding the top of the car seat though. If these old cars had shoulder belts, I'd put him in a booster, and not worry about it.

Seat belts with shoulder straps go thru the same as a lap belt. Right behind and underneath the seat. Its the same with a lap or a 3 point. Thats why they make that brass contraptions to hold the seatbelt together so the shoulder strap doesnt tilt the seat. Not all new seats have the extra straps at the top.