Chevy truck help / info

mad999

I am having trouble with my 98 GMC pickup and my back up 97 Tahoe.

How do I set the timing on the 5.7 in the truck? Is there special equipment needed?

How do I set a new TPS sensor in the 5.7 Tahoe.

Any help or sites you could point me to would be appreciated.
Thanks

Did you pull the distributor out? I just did a intake gasket on a 98 chevy silverado and all I did was mark the location of the rotor and body of the distributor with a marker before I pulled it out and then dropped in back in everything lined right up and it started the first time and ran good. What a PITA.

The older chevy trucks used to have a spark timing wire underneath the black junction box on the firewall you had to unhook to time it properly. I don't think the newer vortecs have that.

I think you can find something here at Automotive Forums .com - Car Chat Forum for Every Auto Enthusiast

That's how it started. We changed the intake gaskets, then once in a while I would get a code saying timing was off. Left it alone for about a week then fuel pump went out. Fixed that then a week later it suddenly started running rough poping back though exhaust. Took it to mechanic, long story to find out the dist cap was bad (1 year old). When I got it back it runs fine but started hard like timing was to advanced. Turned it till it sounded better. Still isn't right but better. So I would like to figure it out once and for all.

Overall timing is in the PCM. If it has a distributor, then ,oving it will adjust it all across the board as there is no vac advance or anything like the old school SBC. I thought everything from 97 on up would have been a Vortec motor with no distributor.
Might want to try posting something here I'm sure there is a setting procedure.
FULLSIZEforums - Chevy Truck

timming (cam sensor ) has to be set with scan too to get you back to 0 on your cmp

turbotoy