Chevy Tahoe opinions..good, bad, or ugly

Dewey

Resident Smartass
I've been wanting one for quite some time and I've run across what appears to be a well kept one. It's a 1998 LT 4WD and it's pretty well loaded up. Has 121000 miles but runs and drives very well. I can get it pretty reasonable as far as these go but I'm curious as to other's experiences with these. Fuel consumption isn't as big an issue with me since I live 3 blocks from where I work and only put about 7000 miles a year on a vehicle. I'm currently driving a 2000 Grand Prix GT that has given me very little trouble in the 3 years that I've had it so I'm a bit hesitant to get rid of a known good car but this Tahoe is very nice. Any opinions or other input would be appreciated.

If it was taken care of it should be fine. I have sold them with 250K on them:eek:

Check out the trans good and if the motor isn't gunked up you should be good. To be honest I have less trouble out of those vehicles then most other types I sale...

i have a 99 tahoe and i just did the front hubs(450 bucks) 110k miles and did the intake gasket at 70k and just rebuilt the front steering, centerlink and pitman and idler arms. Ive had it for about 6 years i like it. My buddies 98 tahoe's engine went south at around 190k . good luck

I have a 99 4wd, and I LOVE it. Hands down the most enjoyable driving vehicle I have ever owned. Fuel pumps are known for going out, but with those miles, I wouldn't be suprised if it was already done.

When I bought mine, the service managers (different dealership) card was in the owners manual. I faxed a copy of the bill of sale to him and he faxed me the complete service history of the car.

'99 Sub here... I did the intake gasket, fuel pump and trans-go shift kit to correct shifting problems on the 4L60E (over the past seven years). I did manage to screw up an injector when doing the intake. I took a very soft brush and lodged a piece of carbon in one of the injector poppets. The replacement injector was an AC Delco I picked up on ebay for $18, new. The spider injector has been redesigned to use real injectors rather than 8 injectors and 8 poppets. It runs about $389 if needed. These 5.7s were bad about intake gaskets and some have knocking when cold due to rod clearances being a little loose from the factory. A good flush and fill may prevent a good intake gasket from failing (DEX-Cool issues). Our Suburban knocks a little when it's real cold out but, some owners go 200K+ with the noise.

Plan on at least changing all fluids and filters, belts and adjusting the rear brakes. They can become a great vehicles once you get used to the size/mpg. I would be sad if we had to get rid of ours.

They call them OBS Old Body Style Full-Size Chevy - Main Index

How much is this thing? I know the prices are down right now with high gas prices.

Dealer had $7000 on it but I have him down to $5900. I may walk in with $5500 and a take it or leave it attitude. This guy is also going out of business at the end of the month so I imagine he wants to unload his inventory. This one looks to be very well maintained. Motor is clean, all fluids are clean and fresh looking. Has new Bridgestone tires on it. Has the towing package but looks to have rarely, if ever, been used. It is an LT 4WD with leather, rear air, and all the other necessary goodies.

I have an 04'. Pops has a 99' that makes a little noise when cold with 158000 and still trucking. Sound like a good buy @ 5900 and real good @ 5500. Jon

Yeah that is a great deal! That is basically wholesale...

And... the towing package gets you upgraded oil, trans, cooling systems. Wiring to the back with factory receiver and I think my sub has the upgraded alternator too. That's a very good price. Just think, ten years ago it sold for almost 45K. Our suburban sold for almost 50.

The other nice thing is that used parts are everywhere for these things. Engines and transmissions go for $400-700 used and $1400 new GM units (CERTA).

That's the vortec 350 isn't it?

I have a '97 C1500 2wd x-cab Silverado... it has 235k.... still on the original platnum plugs and wires.... still has 50+ psi oil pressure with 5W30 oil... I'm impressed with these motors...

My tranny went at 115k.... rebuilt it... still going strong...

Replaced intake gaskets, 1 water pump, 2 alternators, and countless sets of front brakes :mad:

Overall... I love the Vortec 350.... great engine.

My 98 Tahoe has almost 185K miles and still runs very well. Except for the tranny and torque converter having been replaced once, it's pretty mechanically sound. I've had to replace little things here and there, like radiator, fuel pump, belt tensioner, alternator, door handles and other petty BS.

Pretty much what's been said here is spot on. Haven't had any intake gasket problems but I think it's because I got rid of the Dexcool long time ago. My only major gripe with these trucks is the brakes....they suck IMO.

'99 Sub here... I did the intake gasket, fuel pump and trans-go shift kit to correct shifting problems on the 4L60E (over the past seven years). I did manage to screw up an injector when doing the intake. I took a very soft brush and lodged a piece of carbon in one of the injector poppets. The replacement injector was an AC Delco I picked up on ebay for $18, new. The spider injector has been redesigned to use real injectors rather than 8 injectors and 8 poppets. It runs about $389 if needed. These 5.7s were bad about intake gaskets and some have knocking when cold due to rod clearances being a little loose from the factory. A good flush and fill may prevent a good intake gasket from failing (DEX-Cool issues). Our Suburban knocks a little when it's real cold out but, some owners go 200K+ with the noise.

Plan on at least changing all fluids and filters, belts and adjusting the rear brakes. They can become a great vehicles once you get used to the size/mpg. I would be sad if we had to get rid of ours.

They call them OBS Old Body Style Full-Size Chevy - Main Index

How much is this thing? I know the prices are down right now with high gas prices.

+1 on the intake. I had a 97, bad intake design. Composte intake, thing would leak when cold. Also, in 97 the fuel pressure regulator was under the intake, a royal PITA. FP in the tank, but were all used to that:rolleyes:

Other than that it was a great car. Changed boats and stopped towing, so the wife wanted somthing smaller. Sold it in 95. 57,000 miles, all I could do to get 10K out of it. They should be cheap now with the price of gas. It would get 14 town, 17 hwy.

I have a '99 Tahoe, 2dr. I love it. It has 113,000 on it and it still runs strong. I changed the intake manifold gasket on mine and the heater controll valve but thats all.

I am wanting to trade it for an 86/87 GN or TR.................

tahoeon20s005.jpg

I have a '99 Tahoe, 2dr. I love it. It has 113,000 on it and it still runs strong. I changed the intake manifold gasket on mine and the heater controll valve but thats all.

I am wanting to trade it for an 86/87 GN or TR.................

tahoeon20s005.jpg

That's pretty sweet looking. 2WD? Our Suburban is 2wd and I would love for it to be lowered like that....you know for better mileage from the lower wind resistance.

Yea, it's 2wd. It's a pretty rare little truck. Most of these were 4x4's.

It's lowered 4/6 with a Belltech Kit and helper bags on the rear for when you haul fat chicks in the back.............

94 sub 220k and going to take her to Canada this year with my 20'er. I bought it with 143K.