chevrolet truck

odell4o8

Luck,
old man down the road about 5 miles told me he was selling his 2004 diesel chev, truck , one owner 88000 miles on it, new brakes, tires and two new delco batterys, so i bought it and on the way home the inst,
cluster went dead no speedo, no tack no guages period. so i called him, he replied oh yea i had it fixed it cost 350.00 he said but it is still under warranty so i called the shop that repaired it and sure enought the man said he would repair it for free, then the shop guy said these chevrolet trucks models from 2000
to 2006 had a inst, problem. any one with a chev, or gmc truck had this problem?
thanks oc,

Do a google search for "stepper motors". You'll find tons of info. Yes, GM had lots of problems during those years with clusters and the stepper motors going bad. I did the ones on my old 2004 Rainer. It is not difficult to do, just have to remove the cluster and be somewhat adept with a soldering iron (NOT a soldering GUN...much too much heat!). Here's a link as to the procedure on a Trail Blazer but the idea is the same on any cluster GM manufactured. Link: How to replace your stepper motor - Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum

I do

I repair them.when they completely go off,its the pins to board solder joint. If one gage goes out, it is the steper motor as described before.common.
I'm not soliciting business. I cannot test cluster without the truck.

I repair them.when they completely go off,its the pins to board solder joint. If one gage goes out, it is the steper motor as described before.common.
I'm not soliciting business. I cannot test cluster without the truck.[/QU
no guages work, shifter indicator no work, all lights work, everthing worked when started up 5 minutes later no work,
and never worked again, thanks oc,

Sounds like solder joints at pins meet board from main plug.

The oil pressure gauge in my daughters truck quit. Is this something I can fix or do we have to send it off. It is very un-nerving to me when I drive it with 'no oil pressure".

On a side note if that truck is a 4x4 keep tabs on the transfer case. Apparently on the 'shift on the fly' push button case the pump in there is aluminum and in eventually rubs a hole in the magnesium case and the thing runs it self dry while driving. NP246. pump_rub_fix_transfer-case-pump-upgrade-kit My 'burb is having this prob now. It took me three fills and a rear seal before I looked into it deeper. That blue fluid is costing me about $9.50/quart. Might not apply to yours.