Checking band adjustment

turbodarryl

With the servo assembly installed, am I looking for .060 clearance between the retaining ring & servo , or do I have to compress the servo and springs to where they stop compressing then look for the .060 clearance?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Assemble it without the springs n seals and measure. When you are satisfied with the clearance then put the seals and springs in.
What band material are you using? Is it new or is this a new servo install on an existing trans? Which servo are you using?
Have you checked the drum for straightness and runout? Are you using a shift improver kit? What size n stall torque converter are you using?
Many factors to getting a good shift.

Yes a new build, alto clutches an band, ck servo, AC 9" converter., yes drum checked good.

http://gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9724&page=3

Check out post #29
I've heard bad things about the alto band but maybe they have that under control now. It was recommended I use a carbon band.

When you get the thing in be sure to air check it. You should feel drag turning the output( i used a yoke for leverage) then when air applied it is locked down. You can use the port shown in the post#29 or the exhaust port in the pan rail. This is why you should not use gasket maker stuff as the exhaust port could get obstructed. A good gasket should work if your pan rail is straight.

ok i adjusted the servo exacty as stated, i had to grind the pin and i ended up with .060 clearance between the snap ring and band using my dial indicator, while building the trans i air checked the servo using the stock servo and all was good, now the valve body is on so i can't check at that port, Are you saying i can check the servo at the exhaust port at the pan rail at the servo location ?

Toss the Alto band, call Lonnie or Dave get a carbon band and set it up with drag. The break it in wheels off the ground 25-30 shifts 2-3/3-2 and have at it.

What is meant by drag on the carbon band. If set up as the per the earlier posts using the .060 method there will be a gap/slop around the band to drum.

For those using this carbon band the pin must be a bit longer. I have the carbon band and it's set up the .060 method.

Just asking for the next build

I am not a guru but I got a lot of advice from several. I was told that as I turn the output shaft I should feel the band drag. I turned the out put to get a feel before the servo was installed . Then put the servo in without the seals n springs. The servo went in and out several times as we ground down the pin. I used a Sonnax so a new pin was included in the kit. This got us to a little drag on the output and the output locked up when we added air to the valve body port after installing the seals n springs.
I am planning my next build and will use a ck servo unless I find a better deal along the way. I might even spring to get the drum surfaced and use a wide band. Time will tell. Lots of other things slated in the budget ahead of that, but I dream big.

CK's servo is not that expensive and nice piece, back to the band. Are you looked at the drum and band while upside down on bench with pan off . Using your method the band would be tight around the drum. The .060 method will have slop with respect to band to drum.

The alto band will burn up if set up with drag, the carbon band will not. Call Dave at turbobuick performance if you need a better explaination. Drum must be flat and wide band is a no no. Sonnax servo is my choice.

My trans is now completely built, just have to put the pan on, since it will be mostly street driven ill leave the alto in for now, BUT I do have plans in the future for a HP upgrade witch will require more billet parts, carbon band an ect. ive already talked to Dave and he's been a great help, Thanks.

Back to carbon band. Mine is wider than stock. Are two sizes available ? Perhaps, I should just order Dave's and find out ?
Thanks again. This is a great forum

Yes, two widths. Stock and I believe 2 3/8". I didn't have a way to surface the drum so I went srock width.

I suspect you have the carbonite band available from fast food trans parts houses. Dave and Lonnie have a stock with carbon band that they have made special for them only.

Now if I am of base hopefully they will chime in and get me straight:)

Could be. It was sold to me as carbon fiber but who knows.

To make things a little easier you could get the 2004R Billet Adjustable servo from Lonnie at Extreme Automatics, GBody Parts or RJC Racing. It has the largest apply area available with a piston diameter of 2.995" and you just install it once, then adjust it from the outside of the transmission with just an Allen wrench and 1/2 open or boxed wrench. Too easy!

To make things a little easier you could get the 2004R Billet Adjustable servo from Lonnie at Extreme Automatics, GBody Parts or RJC Racing. It has the largest apply area available with a piston diameter of 2.995" and you just install it once, then adjust it from the outside of the transmission with just an Allen wrench and 1/2 open or boxed wrench. Too easy!
Can not find it on any of those websites? Brian has a 700r4 listed.

I just talked to Stagerite a month ago and they are making an adjustable servo right now....or its already available. I think he sells all his stuff through gbodyparts.com tho. Call Stagerite, super nice guy.

I just talked to Stagerite a month ago and they are making an adjustable servo right now....or its already available. I think he sells all his stuff through gbodyparts.com tho. Call Stagerite, super nice guy.
Ive seen pics of it in the forsale section. I know that the sonnax and version of it is popular with most builders. Band adjustment is critcial as well as the non floating pin design. Just curious how this compares.