Check engine light?

turbokid9765

My check engine light came on shortly after i added a 160 thermostat and caspers volt booster. I took it to a local shop and hooked it up to a computer. He couldnt even read anything from the ECM. He told me to check the fuse for the ECM because it could be blown. What do you think and could this have happened from the volt booster?

If ya drove it there the fuse is not blown.

Try pulling the code by the method on the gnttype.org site - short out the upper two leads and count the flashing lights.

Possible something got messed with when you did the 160* stat

Maybe you forgot to plug back in a sensor when working on the car, like MAT sensor?

Maybe you forgot to plug back in a sensor when working on the car, like MAT sensor?

I'm thinking the same thing too. There's a pile of sensors surrounding that area where the thermostat goes.

Im pretty sure i got everything plugged back in because i put that volt booster on as well but i will check and see.

MAT sensor is the one that plugs into the air intake near the air filter. You'd know it if you didn't plug your MAF. It would barely run, if at all.

Ditch the volt booster. It will cause problems down the road. Don't say we didn't warn you! Think of it this way: If the car didn't need it then, why does it need it now?

Well I just went to the garage and took off the volt booster but I noticed that my air temp. sensor was not plugged in to the intake. So Im assuming thats why my light is on but the reason why it was plugged in was because the wire isnt long enough. Could I just buy some wire and splice into that to make it longer so i can get it plugged in?

Yeah I thought it might cause problems but I was told it was a good performance upgrade.

Newbie lesson #1: Don't believe everything you hear. Just remember that some vendors will hype a product when it's benefits are modest or even non-existent. Understand that they have a business to run, but there are a LOT of useless "upgrades" out there.

The ECM will certainly throw a code if the air temp sensor is not plugge in. Any yes, you can just splice some 14 gauge wire to extend the connection. What kind of intake are you using that necessitates extending the air temp sensor?

[

. What kind of intake are you using that necessitates extending the air temp sensor?[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was wondering the same thing, I never had to splice mine, just curious of what air intake set up you have.

It is some cold air intake but i went ahead and bought the extension from full throttle. It needs to be a couple about 6 inches longer.

I know the extension is more than i need but i figured i could use it later if I went with a MAFT Pro system or something like it.

My check engine light came on shortly after i added a 160 thermostat and caspers volt booster. I took it to a local shop and hooked it up to a computer. He couldnt even read anything from the ECM. He told me to check the fuse for the ECM because it could be blown. What do you think and could this have happened from the volt booster?

Did the shop have the correct connector? I think its GM-1 and you need to hook a power wire from the battery to the adapter.