cheap rear disc conversion

JUSTA3.8V6

does anyone know of a cheap rear disc swap? im planning on making my GN handle a little better this winter and am looking for a cheap conversion. i plan on upgrading the front rotors also. any help is appreciated.

does anyone know of a cheap rear disc swap? im planning on making my GN handle a little better this winter and am looking for a cheap conversion. i plan on upgrading the front rotors also. any help is appreciated.
Rear disc brakes won't do too much to improve your handling.

Do a search, there are some options from F-bodies that will work

The cheapest rear disc conversion is the weld on brackets that cost about $10 each. You can pick between 2 different designs. One uses the same caliper as on all G bodys and the other uses an A/B body caliper. Pick the rotor you want, mount the caliper to the bracket and then mount that to the rotor that's already on the axle. Pressurize the caliper to set spacing and weld the bracket.;)

Cheaping out on brakes is the last thing I would want to do?

When I discussed rear disc brakes with Rick at Bear Brakes, it was my understanding the because of C-clip axles will have some movement, this will push the pads into the caliper.

When the brake is applied, this slack must be first taken up before the pads apply. While this may be a very slight delay in stopping the vehicle, the risk and liability is something a manufacturer does not want.

For a do-it-yourself person, this may be acceptable, but Bear would only use a floating caliper on a stock GN rear, which of course makes the system more expensive.

My car has Bear at all 4 corners, and since I have no C-clips, the less expensive mounted calipers on the rear stop great! :)

Cheaping out on brakes is the last thing I would want to do?

When I discussed rear disc brakes with Rick at Bear Brakes, it was my understanding the because of C-clip axles will have some movement, this will push the pads into the caliper.

When the brake is applied, this slack must be first taken up before the pads apply. While this may be a very slight delay in stopping the vehicle, the risk and liability is something a manufacturer does not want.

For a do-it-yourself person, this may be acceptable, but Bear would only use a floating caliper on a stock GN rear, which of course makes the system more expensive.

My car has Bear at all 4 corners, and since I have no C-clips, the less expensive mounted calipers on the rear stop great! :)
Very well said Nick! Too many times we see people spending $10k + on there engines to make their car very fast then skimp on stopping that very fast car! To me the brake system is probably the most over looked area of most car builds....
Me, I want to be as safe as possible at Any Speed and let me tell you, with my BAER brake conversion I no longer have to worry about stopping!

No "Making parts fit", No buying junk yard parts, No cleaning, No painting, No worries about fitment or proper operation..... The BAER brakes are a Complete and True "Bolt-On" set up with absolutely no muss or fuss and they stop my car from 75mph within 3 seconds! ;)

My brother just did a pretty interesting swap to his car. It's an 82 Grand Prix with a 5.0 CFI, T5, and 3.23 posi. He has added front spindles from a 98 S10 blazer 2WD which is important cause 4WD won't work. Calipers, rotors, hoses etc were used from the S10 as well. That will upgrade front brakes. Note some minor mods with hose mounting bracket is required. As for the rears he bolted on factory F body disc brakes. I understand they were from a 4th gen. Obviously minor mounting mods needed for hoses, but calipers, backing plates and rotors from F body were used. He told me he used a metering block from a mid 80's Caddy Eldorado cause it still used standard flares and he wouldn't have to replace all his originals. I can ask him about specific details if necessary but he did all this in his driveway with common tools.

thanks for all the info people. and when i mean cheap i mean on a bit of a budget. disc breaks period are quite an improvement over the stock drummies. and they look way better too!