chassis question for syclone

REDS HOT AIR

Buick Tweaker
I'm looking at setting my s10 up with all wheel drive like the syclone but I'll be tbi 4.3 instead of turbo

my truck is extra cab and I have found a 4 wheel drive extra cap the the body is trashed

question is ...is there a difference between the syclone chassis and the 4 wheel drive chassis?

just wondering if I put the 4x4 chassis under it if I'll be able to lower it to make it look right with vette wheels on it

I plan to get a all wheel drive transfer case to relace the 4 wheel drive one

thanks ...RED

The chassis is basically the same among 4x4 s trucks but there are some differences.

The front diff in a syty is not a lock/unlock type deal like the reg 4x4. You can procure a Bravada front diff and install it or you can replace a few parts and an axle tube with bone yard bravada stuff to make the diff non shiftable.

Sytys came with bilstein shocks that were (IMO) firmer than reg 4x4 stuff.

The AWD xfer case has a diff yoke and front drive shaft as well as the yoke on the front diff compaired to the reg 4x4 s truck. If you go to a syty style shifter set up the bracket for the cable that bolts to the trans pan will need reworking if you decide to use the 4x4 style drive shaft (and corrosponding yokes) since its diameter is larger than a syty front drive shaft. If you do the bravada xfer case then you will need the bravadas rear drive shaft yoke installed on your existing drive shaft since the bravada and typhoon have a different sized output shaft on the xfer case than the syclone and 4x4 s truck.

As far as lowering. The front is a simple backing out of the torsion bar adjustment bolts until you reach the ride height you want. The rear can be done with blocks or dropped springs. Both 2wd and 4wd leaf set ups are identical so any 2wd lowering set up will work for a 4wd. Basically all S truck suspensions are the same from the front cab mounts rearward other than the x member that the torsion bars mount to.

The front suspension is where the big differences are since 2wd uses coil springs in the A arms (similar set up as the Buicks) and the 4wd is a torsion bar set up.

I dunno how youre going about your AWD conversion but Id procure a bravada xfer case, front drive shaft, front diff, and front yoke on the rear drive shaft to swap in and be done with it. If you want to spend money then used front syty diffs go for ~400, syty xfer cases go for ~450, and good front drive shafts for anywhere from 100 bucks on up.

HTH

now why did gm have to make it so difficult :)

thanks 4 all that info ..that will save alot of headaches

saw your name on an was wondering how you and msclone was doing

hollor if you'll ever head east

RED

No prob Red glad to help..

Ms myclone is doing fine and has been keeping me busy with the "honey do" list since Ive been on strike from work for 6 weeks. That was settled this past Sat so hopefully I can get the sy outta moth balls and head to VMP for some much needed fun. If/when we get to head that way I'll give ya a holler to see if your gonna be there.

laterz