Chassis Decals

Thanks Gene,
The decals and the descriptions for locations will be very helpful. I did receive your e-mail and am looking forward to seeing the decals. I have a friend with a low mileage GN, and another with a no mileage GNX. When I get time I can look at them to get more information. I still need to send out everyones Judging sheets from the GSCA Concours class, its been really busy at work since I got back. If you can put your phone # and the times to call in with the packet we can discuss the decals further. Again thanks for the help.
Duane

I just received some decals in the mail and will start working on the project within a few days. The set is not complete but it will be a great start. As I get further into this I am sure to ask questions. All help will be appreciated.
Duane

This Post is directed to Gene Ross,
I have been working on the decal sets for the GN/GNX cars for a while now. I have the following decals finished, front and rear swaybars, and springs. I am going to work on the front and rear Shock stickers next.
As I finish each sticker I would like to send you one of the reproduction stickers along with the original so you can see how close they match.
I do have 2 problems;
1. I can't find the envelope you sent the stickers in, so I don't have your address.
2. I don't know how long the stickers are supposed to be, and I have some other questions to ask you.
Once I get this Info I can finish them and ship them back. If you could give me a call, or PM me with your Tel# I could get moving on this again.
Here is my info.

Duane Heckman
120 President Ave.
Rutledge, Pa. 19070
Tel# (610)-544-6776

Again, thanks for all your help.
Duane

How about the sticker on the inside of the door with the paintcode and production date?Could this be reproduced?

The problem I am having is that I know GS's not Gn's. I don't know what the decals look like on the GN's so you will have to help me out here.
If the sticker is like the ones on the Gran Sports it has the Vin# on it and becomes a legal matter. If you guys want decals done you are going to have to take some pictures so I can see what they look like. If I can do them, we can go from there.
How about letting me get the GN/GNX (front and rear) Spring, Shock, Swaybar, and maybe the Master Cylinder decals done, then we can do some others.
Duane

Duane, when I first started reading this, I wondered if you were the person who built the GSXcamino, then when I read down to see that it was you, I knew this project would be first class! As you can see, there is lots of interest.
Others have mentioed the serp belt routing decal & the sunvisor decal. Yes, both of these are availabe in reproductions from Kirban, but I think you could do a better job than his. Most obvious is that the reproductions are missing the part numbers on the lower corner that the originals had, plus they just don't look as good as the originals in my opinion. Is there a law against putting the part number on the repos? Another one we need is the code letter sticker on the powermaster.
A seperate question is about the VIN & tire pressure labels on the door. Someone is selling the VIN sticker on Ebay, & I have found another company on the internet selling it cheaper. Anyone know who actually makes these & how good they are? Also, how good a job can the average person do filling out these labels for their car?
Thanks, Ron Cavanagh, buickron@aol.com

Ron,
The problems with making decals with full part numbers or Brand Names/Logos is that you would need to get GM licensing to sell them. The other thing is that you would not be able to tell them apart from the originals. I know that is what everyone wants, but it creates it's own set of problems.
Here is an example of what has happened in the past.

Jim Osborne makes reproduction decals for many types of classic cars. Everyone knew they were reproduction decals so there was no problem. Well, one of his customers purchased a bunch of his decals, put them on reconditioned parts, and proceeded to sell these parts as NOS parts. Even though Mr. Osborne was not involved with this IN ANY WAY he still got in trouble. Now after proving himself innocent his decals have to be stamped reproduction on the back side.
Now I don't know what the current reproduction decals sell for, but if they were made exactly like the originals they would be at least 2-3 times more expensive and may take a year or more to get approved. I am sure everyone will say "That's fine. Do it." but the question is how many would you actually sell?

As far as the VIN & tire pressure labels on the door, somebody could be opening themselves up to a world of troubles with that one. I don't know who makes them, and have no idea of the quality.
I hope this answers some questions.
Duane

What about an RPO sticker for the trunk deck. There are alot of people out there with super nice cars that have had bad fortune with something hapening to there trunk deck. With the RPO sticker being on the deck lid, when you replace the deck lid with a good one it does not leave alot of room for fixing the problem.
My question is could haveing a blank or orderd to the options of the car. Can a replacement rpo sticker be made?

Just for kicks, I'd like to get a repo of the sticker that goes on the A/C evaporator housing - the one with the emissions info and vacuum hose routing...

I would also be interested in the decals as well as door decals and a repro trunk RPO code decal. Mine was destroyed by the previous owner. It would be great to give you a list of options or option codes to create the decal. Thanks