chasing gremlins

billy 420

I havent seen it mentioned on any forum but did you know the 1984 turbo buicks had 2 fuel filters?One on the front of the engine and one located near the rear drivers side tire?
Also all of the single pole sensors (coolant level , o2, knock sensor ) should never have any kind of sealent used on them , the threads on these sensors are used to ground the sensors (without this the cars computer is fed junk)
On the 1984 t-type im working on the coolant temperature sensor was incorrect for this car (previous owner changed it to the porcelin one out of a 4.1 litre for some reason , im surprised the car ever ran at all .
The flowmaster muffler was experiencing intermittant blockage and has been replaced with a flow through design
little things included a gummed up egr valve , a port on the vaccum block leaking and many other details overlooked . If your blms are higher than normal change out both fuel filters before going any further as i believe this is majorly overlooked on these cars .
Just cleaning the teflon tape off of the cars single poled sensors shut off about 4 codes the cpu was reading .
If your cars engine seems abnormally hot (burn yourself on master cylinder ) and you are constantly setting an egr code ,more than likely there is a restriction in your exhaust . the car came with a flowmaster on it , when purchased ,possibly the worst choice for a turbo engine .

I havent seen it mentioned on any forum but did you know the 1984 turbo buicks had 2 fuel filters?One on the front of the engine and one located near the rear drivers side tire?
Also all of the single pole sensors (coolant level , o2, knock sensor ) should never have any kind of sealent used on them , the threads on these sensors are used to ground the sensors (without this the cars computer is fed junk)
On the 1984 t-type im working on the coolant temperature sensor was incorrect for this car (previous owner changed it to the porcelin one out of a 4.1 litre for some reason , im surprised the car ever ran at all .
The flowmaster muffler was experiencing intermittant blockage and has been replaced with a flow through design
little things included a gummed up egr valve , a port on the vaccum block leaking and many other details overlooked . If your blms are higher than normal change out both fuel filters before going any further as i believe this is majorly overlooked on these cars .
Just cleaning the teflon tape off of the cars single poled sensors shut off about 4 codes the cpu was reading .
If your cars engine seems abnormally hot (burn yourself on master cylinder ) and you are constantly setting an egr code ,more than likely there is a restriction in your exhaust . the car came with a flowmaster on it , when purchased ,possibly the worst choice for a turbo engine .

also ensure the top rad hose is full and burped of air ,without this your cooling system will never function properly . the thermostat in the 84 was toast and not opening properly . anyone have a fix for a fuel guage not showing proper readings?

also ensure the top rad hose is full and burped of air ,without this your cooling system will never function properly . the thermostat in the 84 was toast and not opening properly . anyone have a fix for a fuel guage not showing proper readings?

The fuel gauges do not work really well after the years. The best way is to drop the fuel tank and use an eraser to clean the contacts on the float switch. Then use the trip odometer everytime you fill up and at two hundred miles refuel. Brad

The fuel gauges do not work really well after the years. The best way is to drop the fuel tank and use an eraser to clean the contacts on the float switch. Then use the trip odometer everytime you fill up and at two hundred miles refuel. Brad

cleaning with an eraser works great.

btw....my 84 T Type has one filter (Front of engine block). I think the replacement stainless lines require the addition of a second filter (read this somewhere, but can't remember where).

Thanks for the eraser idea , sounds like a good solution . Both the gm dealers manual as well as napa show a second fuel filter on this car as stock , maybe your fuel line wasnt stock when you bought your car . removal of this filter would cause a higher than normal fuel pressure and possibly lower blm/int readings than normal . with both fuel filters full of junk your blms will be maxed or higher than normal (assuming there are no other problems with the car ). I also found traces of air filter oil on the maf sensor so i cleaned the maf with sensor cleaner and replaced the oily aftermarket air filter with the proper stock filter.

If you found traces of air filter oil on the MAF the filter was either a cheap one or was oiled way to much. Get a K&N - it will flow a ton more than a stock paper filter. I have run them for years in everything I have that has an engine in it and have never had oil problems when they are maintained properly.

. While i appreciate your input and i do agree the k&n would flow more air , in this case i would say ill take the trade off . I would rather have reliability here than a few more ponys. Ill keep the k&n , clean it up and install it in my tool box for now . I know installing these k&n filters will cause a motorcycle to run improperly unless tuned to them . do these cars add the extra fuel to deal with all that extra air on their own ?

Motorcycle = Tuning may be required.:)

Computer controlled automobile with properly functioning ECM and sensors should adjust air/fuel mixure enough for normal driving.

Performance built engines that are pushing the limits probably will need some tuning - but those people are probably on top of things anyhow. ;)