Charging and alt light

black_magic87

Buddah
Well it was bound to happen, After 4 1/2 years of no trouble with the car, now it seems to all be going wrong. For my birthday I got a new 240 amp altenator, the old one was on it's way out. Now with the new one in the alt light doesn't come on and I have dash light and my gauges all work. but the only idot light that will come on is the check eng. the other bulbs are ok but still no turn signal, no parking brake when its on, also only getting the "clicking" sound from the right turn blinker but no light and no light or sound on the left turn side. so far all the fuses are checking out and when running only getting about 12.4 volts. Any idea would be a big help

Robert

So,you are saying all these problems happened after you replaced the alternator?and none of them were happening before the swap,is that correct?

If your old alternator is still good i would put it back in and see if that helps.

I have a 140amp alternator and it never caused any problems like that, maybe the 240amp alternator is more than the stock wiring can handle.

As I said in my original post the alt was starting to go, When I would switch the fan the car would stumble but then catch up, I did take it to, two different advance autos for them to test and both did the same thing, thus my reason for getting the new one. I did switch them back just to make sure, And still the same thing. the wire comming off the back of the alt was upgraded. Now that it stays light out later i can dig a little further into. Thanks for the reply

Robert

I wish i could have been more help but without being able to actually see,hear the car it's only guessing on my part or anyone's as to what is causing the gremlins.

What did you mean by "the wire on the back of the alternator was upgraded".

If the original wiring was somehow messed-up during the upgrade and caused a problem with the new alternator. Then when you reinstalled the old alternator it would also have the same problem,even if it wasn't the source.

I would take a good look at that upgraded wire.

Ps,did you have the parts store test the alternator while on the car or did you remove it and then have it tested?

I hope some of this might be in someway helpful to you. :smile: