Charcoal canister thread

Coelacanth

I hope you guys won't mind me starting a thread specific to the canister; I realize there are other threads on this going back several years, but I was hoping to tie together people's suggestions in an updated topic. Specific part info and specific tips in general were often ambiguous or confusing.

For those people who want to do away with the canister, what do you suggest? Those of you who have done this, what exactly did you do?

I'll summarize the info I've read on here...I believe many of you have removed the canister, put a fuel filter on one of the lines going to the canister, and probably drilled a small (1/16") hole in the gas cap to vent the fuel system. Is that about it?

1) What did you do with the other line to the canister?
2) What kind of fuel filter did you use? Pics or P/N would be ideal.

Any other suggestions?

No need for a hole in the gas cap. One person cut the vent line back by the tank, clamped a piece of 5/16" fuel line to it, ran it up into the frame rail on the passenger side, with a cheepy plastic fuel filter attached to that end.

RemoveBeforeFlight

No need for a hole in the gas cap. One person cut the vent line back by the tank, clamped a piece of 5/16" fuel line to it, ran it up into the frame rail on the passenger side, with a cheepy plastic fuel filter attached to that end.
Thanks. So for the fuel filter, are you referring to a simple inline filter connected to one end? I assume you block off the other end of the filter with a cap, or just leave it open?

A plastic inline fuel filter, such as what would be used on a small carb engine. The other end is left open. The filter prevents bugs and dirt from getting into the vent line, while able to release pressure out of the tank. Something like one of these(Advance Auto parts for the images):

FuelFilter.jpg
FuelFilter_1.jpg

RemoveBeforeFlight

Great, thanks. I have a few of those (the left one) sitting around, I use those filters for my '70 Charger. Now I see why it's unnecessary to drill a hole in the gas cap; leaving one end of the fuel filter open accomplishes the same thing.

Removing the canister as described won't cause the ECM to throw a fault code?

No codes from lack of CCP system. To be honest, I keep them and/or put them back into vehicles. It keeps the stench of fuel down when the car is parked in an enclosed space.

Just an FYI, back at the tank the vent line is the middle sized one (5/16"). The little line (1/4") is the return from the fuel rail.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Not trying to hijack the thread but does the charcoal canister ever have to be serviced/cleaned/replaced?

Not trying to hijack the thread but does the charcoal canister ever have to be serviced/cleaned/replaced?

Yes, there's a filter that needs to be changed and the charcoal has to be changed.......

......must like using a gasket on a rear diff cover, I don't think anyone actually does it though. I know I haven't.

I relocate the canister down on the frame rail. If you get rid of it, you will smell fuel in the garage. Your choice.

Rick

If you search & read through the various threads about it on this forum, some guys say there's no gas smell. I'm trying to consolidate all the info in one topic so there'd be some kind of consensus. I'd like for people who've actually done away with the vapor canister to chime in. Plenty of posts in the threads below from people who say there's no fuel smell. I guess if you smell gas, it's easy enough to put it back in.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/vapor-canister.40031/
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/charcoal-canister.345015/
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/charcoal-canister.217625/
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/fuel-canister.295185/

At Home Depot buy a paint gun filter. ( Instaclean filter ) it is 3/4 " long 3/8 dia. It is wire mesh caped on one end. The wire mesh has 1/64 dia webbing . Take the charcoal filter out of the canister, cut some of it to stuff in the wire mesh paint filter. You will not smell gas. I know this because my wife can smell a mouse fart. And she doesn't smell any gas.

Fram $ 4 plastic filter on far end of return line, no problem!! I keep mine in closed shop for weeks at a time: no fumes or residue ! ( actually didn't think about it till this ??? )

At Home Depot buy a paint gun filter. ( Instaclean filter ) it is 3/4 " long 3/8 dia. It is wire mesh caped on one end. The wire mesh has 1/64 dia webbing . Take the charcoal filter out of the canister, cut some of it to stuff in the wire mesh paint filter. You will not smell gas. I know this because my wife can smell a mouse fart. And she doesn't smell any gas.
Great idea, that's what I'm talking about!