Charcoal canister for gas tank vent??

Yedi

ya, the Monte over there.
On my regal I got rid of the factory vapor canister for the Gas tank vent line that used to sit in the Left front portion of the engine compartment, this was a while back, I just left the fuel line hang there, and every once in a while you can get an hint of gas smell.

Does anyone make an aftermarket, smaller canister?? I mounted my oil filter in that spot, thats why I got rid of it in the first place.

go dig the stock one back out and mount it on the frame rail near the vent line (take out one bolt and move the line out of the way),

ive seen others mounted under the fender liner sideways with large hose clamps to hold it up .

#####nevermind just read your sig and you're not talking about turbo or an original turbo car ,which brings up the question why is it posted in this board forum in the first place!!!!! the title of this forum is GENERAL TURBO BUICK TECH
you probably don't have the recess in the fender liner to put it on the frame rail , turbo liner has a recess by the ps box for the stock air box, and for all i know your vent is in a different location than our turbo cars.

#####nevermind just read your sig and you're not talking about turbo or an original turbo car ,which brings up the question why is it posted in this board forum in the first place!!!!! the title of this forum is GENERAL TURBO BUICK TECH

thanks, I can read, hell, why am I even a member of this board then?? I mean I don't even have a TURBO BUICK.

I posted it here as a GENERAL question, I thought this would be a fitting forum. I asked where can I get a aftermarket replacement, not " what should I do w/ my TuRbO canister I took off?"

moving on to the parts wanted section...

A member gave me a great tip to help the smell, stick a small fuel filter in the line. I don't notice a gas smell around that area at all now. :wink:

Perfect, I'll give that a try.. thanks for the help..

I suggest pulling one out in the junkyard.

I've read (quite a whiile ago) on this board, someone left the line laying loose & burend his garage down.

I mounted mine at the rear bumper - just reroute the lines & extend the electric wires.

If you yank out the canister, just put a small breather on the fuel vapor line (like the small ones you find at Autozone for like $10 or $15). No smell of gas. Those canisters are overkill anyway. They are just used for emissions purposes. Once they get so many miles on them, they quit working anyway.

Charcoal canister

Lately I've noticed every time I open my gas cap there is a rush of air coming out. Is it because my canister is not working correctly?:confused:

Lately I've noticed every time I open my gas cap there is a rush of air coming out. Is it because my canister is not working correctly?:confused:

it means your vent is blocked , lines blocked with rust , kinked etc

as to dons comment about cannisters i dont think he has a clue as to how they operate and what their function is ,
there is no downside to running one you need a vent to allow air into tank so fuel can come out , no air in and tank becomes a vacuum
if you shake a tank of gas it quickly pressurizes , so you need to vent the pressure

so now you know why you need a vent but venting to atmosphere is bad as we've all been told and it smells up a garage, the vent is at the top of then sender unit and its possible and likely some fuel will get into the lines not just fuel vapor and if tank is filled and parked off level theres also possibility to push raw fuel up the vent hose

the canister is attached to the vent and its full of charcoal which traps the fumes and stores it in the charcoal like a sponge , theres a solenoid on the canister connected to engine with a vac hose only activates non decell and it opens and allows the engine to draw from the cannister allowing the stored fuel to be burned out as vapors and refresh the charcoal

fyi canister isnt a sealed can , theres a round flat cottony filter on the underside that needs replacing now and then , if it clogs the cannister doesnt flow freely to allow vaporization to refresh the charcoal

Clogged line

fyi canister isnt a sealed can , theres a round flat cottony filter on the underside that needs replacing now and then , if it clogs the cannister doesnt flow freely to allow vaporization to refresh the charcoal

Thanks for the info as I thought some thing like this must be happening. I'll look into it as playing with gas fumes is a precursor to a disaster!:eek:

it means your vent is blocked , lines blocked with rust , kinked etc

as to dons comment about cannisters i dont think he has a clue as to how they operate and what their function is ,
there is no downside to running one you need a vent to allow air into tank so fuel can come out , no air in and tank becomes a vacuum
if you shake a tank of gas it quickly pressurizes , so you need to vent the pressure

so now you know why you need a vent but venting to atmosphere is bad as we've all been told and it smells up a garage, the vent is at the top of then sender unit and its possible and likely some fuel will get into the lines not just fuel vapor and if tank is filled and parked off level theres also possibility to push raw fuel up the vent hose

the canister is attached to the vent and its full of charcoal which traps the fumes and stores it in the charcoal like a sponge , theres a solenoid on the canister connected to engine with a vac hose only activates non decell and it opens and allows the engine to draw from the cannister allowing the stored fuel to be burned out as vapors and refresh the charcoal

great information, learned alot from your post. I really had no idea how those canisters worked anyways.

Solenoid on canister

Pacecarta,

Is it possible that the problem with my tank building up pressure is a defective solenoid on the canister? Is there a quick way to test the solenoid?

Thanks!

I've been debating on removing my canister for a little more underhood space. What size fuel filter did you use? Did you use an inline style filter with the barbs on the ends?

Pacecarta,

Is it possible that the problem with my tank building up pressure is a defective solenoid on the canister? Is there a quick way to test the solenoid?

Thanks!

no , the canister is open to the bottom , the solenoid just allows the engine vac to draw the stored gas vapors out from the top , if you're pressurizing there's a blockage in the vent line between tank and canister

if you want detailed test procedures get ahold of jeremy woods for a copy of the TR service manual on CD,
theres lots of info on gnttype.org but the service manual is something every turbo regal owner should have if they want to work on these cars

Canister solenoid testing

Well this past weekend I worked on this problem and found out that somewhere my line to the tank was partially clogged by using a Mighty-Vac. I also pulled vacuum on the solenoid valve on the canister and it will hold vacuum for a long time. The moment you apply 12volts to the solenoid the valve will open and the vacuum will go to zero. So I knew that the solenoid was good. I had to drop the gas tank and ended up using compressed air to clean out the small orifice in the gas tank hanger assy.