Changing Spark Plugs, recommendations???

cabech984

I'm doing some upgrades to my Turbo Firebird, installing an AlkyControl kit, 3bar map, RJC PP, TT Alky chip, as well as getting my TE44 Rebuilt. What spark plug does everybody recommend running with my setup?

3.8L, stock crank and rods, TRW Forged pistons (8.1:1 compression)
Stock rebuilt 8445 heads w/ 100lb springs
Erson 208/208 flat tappet cam
TE44 Turbo
Stock lower intake w/ 70mm TB and Upper plenum & RJC PP
#55 injectors & TT Alky Chip
Alkycontrol Methanol kit
3" DP w/ HKS External WG(20psi spring)
3" MAF Pipe w/ factory GN MAF Sensor
Stock Intercooler w/ Duttweiller neck
TH400 Trans w/ 3200 Stall converter
3.23 Limited slip rear axle
27x10.50x15 Slicks

Ill likely be running around 23-26psi with sufficient timing to match.

Thanks for looking,
Chris

The old spark plug debate is like religion and politics. Do a search..you will get a few different suggestions.

The old spark plug debate is like religion and politics. Do a search..you will get a few different suggestions.

I know thats true, just like 90% of these topics lol! Im mainly just looking for what the guys are using! I just need a part number!!

I just installed a set of Autolite 24's in hopes they will cure an intake pop at around 15#'s boost.

I've run most all of em and can't really tell a difference except slit-fires and they were absolutely junk in my engine.

HOW

Either the UR5's or AC CR43TS. Be sure to close the gap to around .32-.33 with the alky.

Spark plugs

+3 NGK's UR5 work great, or go Iridium :eek: and get Denso Iridiums. Actually believe NGK has an Iridium plug as well. UR5's work save your money and get good plug wires. Lot of guys like Merritts wires. You probably already have a good set of wires if you need some Have a used set of Buick MSD 8.5's(less then 50 ohms/ft.) they work great just need to be cleaned up pay shipping and you can have them.

Seems like the UR5's are mine to be! When I was looking for plug recommendations last year, I searched and so many different options were out there I ended up buying Autolites lol. Now, it seems across the board, NGK's!

Somewhere back in my memory, I thought the TTA used a long reach plug? If so, the numbers given are not right.:confused:

My best experiences have been with Autolite and NGK, and NOT platinum or iridium.:)

Somewhere back in my memory, I thought the TTA used a long reach plug? If so, the numbers given are not right.:confused:

My best experiences have been with Autolite and NGK, and NOT platinum or iridium.:)

Your right Nick. NGK TR5 are the right ones.

Nick, your getting OLD !! Hee-Hee
Where in his post does it say anything about a TTA. It says 1990 Turbo Fiebird with an LC-2. Stock 8445 heads. UR5's are correct for him.:eek:

Nick, your getting OLD !! Hee-Hee
Where in his post does it say anything about a TTA. It says 1990 Turbo Fiebird with an LC-2. Stock 8445 heads. UR5's are correct for him.:eek:

Put your glasses on Mike, it said "stock" not "stock 8445". You should also know about getting old!:biggrin:

Nick,
Second sentence down on his build list.
Stock rebuilt 8445 heads w/ 100lb springs.
Glasses??? Who needs them ????? :biggrin: :eek: :biggrin: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused:

+3 NGK's UR5 work great, or go Iridium :eek: and get Denso Iridiums. Actually believe NGK has an Iridium plug as well. UR5's work save your money and get good plug wires. Lot of guys like Merritts wires. You probably already have a good set of wires if you need some Have a used set of Buick MSD 8.5's(less then 50 ohms/ft.) they work great just need to be cleaned up pay shipping and you can have them.

I'll take you up on those spark plug wires if you still want to get rid of them :biggrin: