Changing from vynal top to hard top

jdpolzin

My dad and I are both going to be changing soft top cars into hard tops. I tore the vynal off the roof of mine and now I'm wondering how you guys have attatched the rear window trim since there are no pins to hold on the clips? Thanks! ------Jeremy

Well Jeremy, you're in for a bit of a challenge. I think the general concensus was that you have to use small screws in place of the studs to attach the trim. Do a few searches and see what you find.

also

You will need 1/4 windows from a non vinyl car. Will you have to remove the strip that goes across the frt of the vinyl? If so it has studs to be ground off also. The strip between the trunk and back glass is different also.

You will need 1/4 windows from a non vinyl car. Will you have to remove the strip that goes across the frt of the vinyl? If so it has studs to be ground off also. The strip between the trunk and back glass is different also.

Thanks for the info, i actually already have those studs ground off. I scored a rear trunk panel at the junkyard for a hardtop car. I also have a set of blackout 1/4 glass windows. My real concern was the trim. I'm thinking we'll goo ahead and shoot for zip screws and see how that works. I have tried to search for more info but wasnt able to find much at all. We'll get'er figured out though!

Just remember that when you do it to make sure that the head of the screw must be the same size as the head of the stud. That way the trim plastic parst will fit.

Believe it or not body shop supply places sell t-pins exactly for this purpose. I changed a vinyl top car to non vinyl and found out about the pins that are made for replacing pins that snap off. They are the right size for the clips. The deal is you would want to pop the glass out, drill the right side holes, and these pins screw in until they stop with the right size shoulder. When i get a chance i will take a part number off the box if i can find it. Otherwise, i would take a clip to a body place and inquire.

Welcome aboard dyrt and thank you for sure. If you keep this up you'll be as bad as I am on info, lol.

Yep! That's what you need. And these are also what you need to hold on any of the wide lower body moldings like the ones they use on the Limiteds.

And you do need to remove the glass to install these correctly. Now might be the time to upgrade the rear glass to rear window defroster if your car doesn't have it. The rear window is the same in all 78-88 G-Bodies. Just make sure you snag the purple power wire and make sure the ground wire is good.;) And a few of us vendors sell the switch and correct trim applique for the Regal.

Yep! That's what you need. And these are also what you need to hold on any of the wide lower body moldings like the ones they use on the Limiteds.

And you do need to remove the glass to install these correctly. Now might be the time to upgrade the rear glass to rear window defroster if your car doesn't have it. The rear window is the same in all 78-88 G-Bodies. Just make sure you snag the purple power wire and make sure the ground wire is good.;) And a few of us vendors sell the switch and correct trim applique for the Regal.

I did save all the trim and will be posting them for sale soon. I actually will probably take the rear defrost out of the car. It's an 85 so the defrost lines dont wrap around the 3rd brake light I am going to install. Cars going to be one BAD MOFO when it's done!

you'll regret not having the defrost feature where you live. I'd leave it in for convenience myself. I'll be adding to the 82 when I get to it.

Let me know if you need a NON defrost window. My friend at work had a car he was going to gut for a race car that had one.

you'll regret not having the defrost feature where you live. I'd leave it in for convenience myself. I'll be adding to the 82 when I get to it.

In all honesty, I've had around 35-40 GBody cars and I have never once used the rear defrost but I do have the bezels and trim for the defrost. Thats the only real determining factor on whether to keep it or not. Easier to remove buttons and trim for rear defrost or easier buy 86-87 style rear defrost window and have it installed. Thats my only thought on that.