Changing AC compressor

rayskr

I'm replacing the AC compressor on my '87 GN. Been 8 years since I converted to R-134 and replaced the compressor. My CD version of the Service Manual doesn't have an exploded assembly of the mounting brackets/bolting. I've got the alternator tilted up. Does it have to be removed? Does the belt tensioner have to come off? If anybody has an assy. drawing, or hints, I would appreciate it. I didn't find anything in the "How To" section.

You have the battery disconnected right? Get the alt out of the way, the tensioner can stay in place.

Neg. cable off and alt. turned up max. without removing. Can't get compressor loose. Taken out top long bolt nearest fender and bottom short bolt on back bracket to head. Took nut off long bolt on other side near tensioner and bolt slides back part way, but "jams", and compressor is still "tight". Am I missing a bolt? Sure could use a bolting/bracket layout.

Maybe this will help not 100% accurate but there are some nuts on the engine side of the compressor.
ac 001.jpg

that diagram is cut off .. and the other GM accessory diagram (2-17) is also incorrect... they don't show the long bolt bolt at the 6 oclock position but it should be there

there are four mounting bolt locations on the ac compressor ,
but only three have to be removed

(1) 9 oclock ...the long stud on accessory bracket that runs through compressor with the 15mm nut on rad side,
(2) the 6 oclock.... bolt... long through bolt from back ..goes through accessory bracket>though compressor > 15mm nut on rad side
(3) 3 oclock ...the bolt that goes through the L support rod bracket >through accessory bracket> compressor > threads into to the bottom of flat bracket

the fourth is the bolt at top that holds the flat bracket to compressor which can stay on for removal

the tensioner pulley will hang into the way when trying to slide off the long stud on the accessory bracket
easier to just remove the tensioner

The illustration is not cut off. Just some of the part numbers which is of no help.....

that diagram is cut off .. and the other GM accessory diagram (2-17) is also incorrect... they don't show the long bolt bolt at the 6 oclock position but it should be there

there are four mounting bolt locations on the ac compressor ,
but only three have to be removed

(1) 9 oclock ...the long stud on accessory bracket that runs through compressor with the 15mm nut on rad side,
(2) the 6 oclock.... bolt... long through bolt from back ..goes through accessory bracket>though compressor > 15mm nut on rad side
(3) 3 oclock ...the bolt that goes through the L support rod bracket >through accessory bracket> compressor > threads into to the bottom of flat bracket

the fourth is the bolt at top that holds the flat bracket to compressor which can stay on for removal

the tensioner pulley will hang into the way when trying to slide off the long stud on the accessory bracket
easier to just remove the tensioner

Great information. I'll give it a shot in the morning. I think the nut by the tensioner is my problem. I'll get a better shot at it with the tensioner off. Amazing how much you forget, especially when you're my age (76). Thanks again.