Changed converter and now car is a turd.

burnout

I installed an unknow converter and now the car is a complete turd. The converter is blue like a B@M but its not because I called them and told them the numbers stamped on it and they had no clue. I got the converter from a friend that was parting out an 87T (He knew nothing about it.). It has 3300 and what looks like a date stamped on it. On the stock D-5 converter I could hold between 2000-2100rpm and about 4-5psi on the brake no problem. Now I can only hold 1500rpm with no psi. Car seems to want to stall out when taking off some times also. Converter locks and unlocks like it should. Do I need to get my chip reburnt or should that have no effect? I'am confused about the whole thing the converter dosn't look like a stocker it's a 12in but has a slimmer shape. I guess thats what you get for rolling the dice. Any help would be greatful.

Dave

When I had my trans done the guy gave me a converter with it and to make a long story short it was a stock stall converter. It did the same thing.

Sounds like a stock aftermarket converter for a LowPerformance car. These came with stalls ranging from Low 1200-1400rpm, Medium 1611-1654rpm etc...
Look at Pg.3 here, >> http://www.transparts.ru/pdf/tc_gm_03_web.pdf you can see the angle of the Fin dimples of the different stalls on the Impeller Pump part of the converter.

Some converter Info.
Understanding Torque Converters | Rod & Custom Magazine Article at Automotive.com
TCI - TECHNICAL INFORMATION: Torque Converters Explained
Lockup Converter Info.
http://www.phoenixtrans.com/html/lockuplowdown.pdf

Todd

Great info todd thank you. Yeah now that I see that it looks like a low stall converter now that I see those pics. Looks like I will start looking into a new converter since Iam dropping the trans again.

DAVE

We bought a used GN years ago that had the same problem. Ended up having a generic "corporate trans shop" rebuild in it. Rather, an "exchange" transmission!:mad:

This was typical of many run of the mill transmission shops. I agree with the other posts that this is simply a passenger car stock replacement converter. The "Krylon Blue rebuild" makes it really special...:wink:

You've got a converter for a Monte SS or something like it. It's pretty common when you get a trans done at the local trans shops as well.

A converter will make or break your combo. A converter can add a second or take off a second from your ET. It makes since to make sure your putting the right one in your car.

Let Dusty point you in the right direction.