change stock valve springs

crazygn

10's here i come
Is it hard to change the stock valve springs ,what tool sould i use to do this and can i do this with the heads on.i think they have a tool that you can change them with the heads on but iam not a 100%.

thanks

Yes there is a tool to do it. You can get it from any snap-on or mac tools dealer. It is called a on the car spring compressor. You also have to use a compression tester end to force air into the clyinder so the vavle doesn't fall into the compresion chamber. Take the shreder valve out of the one end that goes into the sprak plug hole and hook the other end up to a air supply.

or you could do it the old low budget mopar guys way:).

take about 3 feet of soft cotton rope.tie a knot on one end.

pull your spark plug.

thread the rope into the cylinder,leaving about 6 inches of the knotted end hanging out.

rotate your motor by hand until the piston brings the wad of rope up against the cylinder head,trapping the valves in the head.don't reef on it,just snug enough to keep the valves seated.

fool proof,no way the valves can drop into the cylinder.

and no air compressor required.

i've done this a whole buncha times,it works great.

later,sean

I don't have easy access to a Snap-on or Mac Tools dealer.

Does anyone else makes a tool that will allow me to remove and replace the valve springs on my car WITH the heads still on.

Thanks,
-Banning.

Ijust did mine , take some soft little rope , pull your plug , turn the piston down , fill the cyl with a good bit off rope and turn it back up till you fill the piston getting tight. Then pull them one at a time . It takes time but you want drop a valve in for sure.

belive me it works

Kirban has one, but you have to use an old rocker shaft. Most machine shops have them laying around. I had one, but sold it and now I am regretting it. When I got mine, it was about 45 bucks. Not sure on the price now days. Use is simple. Pull your valve covers. Remove the rockers/shafts. Slide the tool onto your used shaft(NOT THE ONES GOING ON THE CAR!!!!). Then you install the shaft/tool. Then you can compress the spring. It really is easy to replace valve springs, but as with the big, fancy compressors, you have to keep the valve in place. I to have heard of stuffing the cylinders, but I have never done it that way. I guess I was always too worried about lint and debris getting in there. I guess it would all get burned up anyway, but I just don't do it. It probably does work though.