Change-over 7.5" to 8.5" Rear End Assembly

aldog46

I will be changing-out my present 7.5" rear end to 8.5" unit. I'm advised that all trailing arms, spring perches, etc., line right up. How about the pinion yoke? Will my present driveshaft bolt up? Will it need to be shortened? Are the e-brake cables same? How about overall width? Some in-put from someone who has done this conversion would be appreciated. Al

I will be changing-out my present 7.5" rear end to 8.5" unit. I'm advised that all trailing arms, spring perches, etc., line right up. How about the pinion yoke? Will my present driveshaft bolt up? Will it need to be shortened? Are the e-brake cables same? How about overall width? Some in-put from someone who has done this conversion would be appreciated. Al

Al, everything will fit just fine, it's a simple swap. You'll need to get a driveshaft from a GN or Cutlass that had a 200r4 and an 8.5 rear or get yours shortened. It's usually cheaper just to find an original and most of the time the person you buy the rear end from will have a driveshaft too!