??? Champion Irons ???

Vandal1987

Anybody know how to find out weather you have a set of Champion Irons ie , A stamped number or something that differentiate there heads from other aftermarket manufactures.?

will have champion engraved into a recess cut into the face just below where valve cover sits above the exhaust ports ,
and where the valve cover gasket seal sits will be machined flat (stock was cast finish)

and as far as aftermarket manufacturers??? there only is the original GM 8445 iron heads and thats what champion uses and they do their CNC milling and valve upgrade to that , there is no other aftermarket iron head

There's no easy way to tell on the early sets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just took the intake off and measured the intake port on the heads they were about 1.6 and I read on previous posts that they should be 1.77 if they are champ heads also the finish where the valve cover seal sits the finish is infact cast, and as pacecarta kindly stated before that is a another way to tell that the heads are not from champion...

maybe I have overlooked something:confused: but I will assume they are just a set of stock heads that where ported and not cnc'd by champion.

Here's a picture of what a champion head look like
20140510_101045.jpg

the finish where the valve cover seal sits the finish is infact cast, and as pacecarta kindly stated before that is a another way to tell that the heads are not from champion...
That is incorrect also. The early sets which were done by hand at Champion are as cast where the gasket is. The porting on the early heads was more aggressive on the short side and they typically had a little better flow.

Bison thanks for the reply, and Boost thanks for the pics aswell:) I guess theres no real way to tell an early set of champ heads:confused: unless the intake ports are close to 1.77 or higher, if there are below that I guess I can rule them out for being a set of champs??

1.77 is the valve size not the port
on the cnc series the port openings are not really much bigger than stock and they fit to a std felpro intake gasket
as for 1.77 intake valves ..doing the bigger valves was common with any performance head work
before the cnc series champion was porting by hand and the only way youll know is from him is if theres a receipt and you trust the seller
webber also ported heads and there are a few others that did nice work but once the cnc came out the champions were hard to beat for the price as a good set of hand ported heads back in the day could run 2K or more

Last edited:
2K!:eek: yikes..... if they are Champion they are the old ones for sure then thanks for all the insight.

Champion also fills the exhaust heat and EGR passages with aluminum. I don't know when they started doing it though.

Champion also fills the exhaust heat and EGR passages with aluminum. I don't know when they started doing it though.
Other head porters have been known to do this also.

i dont have the egr filled on my junk irons and it hasnt seemed to affect performance

What is the performance edge on egr filled??? I think the egr was filled when I bought them new from Champion 2 years ago....

the bowls in those cylinders don't have a big hole in the back of them when they are filled, there is a measurable flow improvement in those cylinders