Champion Irons

ryan george

Considering putting a set of Champion Irons on a stock block. Not planning on upgrading stock cam at this point. Current setup: te62, 60lb injectors, pte slic, 3" dp, smc progressive alky kit, TT 6.0 chip, hr rear bar. Trying to find a thread on swapping these, but unsuccessful so far. Not sure what else I need to consider as well, if anything. Thanks.

I wasn’t planning on changing the cam either but it was a lot easier to pull the heads with the engine out. My back was killing me ! It just made sense to do it all while the engine was out. I do not regret taking the extra steps and love the cam….Oh get rid of the old timing chain setup too.

Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking that's a bit beyond my skill level though...

Between here and the turbo regal site you should have plenty of info to see you thru. But good heads can always use a little cam, and it never hurts to freshen up the chain.... I other words if you are going to put on those heads and expect anything for all that $$$$ make it work right. Do the whole top end. Or stash the heads until you have the rest and are ready.

rmar is right, there is enough support to get you through a cam swap project on this board. The most diffcult thing i ran into was getting the a/c out of the way. LOL...Take lots of pictures sand label everything so you know where it went...vac, plugs ect. You can always pick up a how to book at auto zone if need be and you can rent motor stands and engine pullers.

Thanks guys. Probably more money than I want to spend at this point. Maybe some other year I'll consider it again...

Yep, we're here to help. I've built a few engines over the phone/internet. Heads and cam go hand in hand. Like Peas and carrots. Like peanut butter and chocolate. Like ................ By the time you are finished you will be the go to guy at work for everyones engine troubles.

Other mods that I forgot...Vigilante converter, Janis built tranny, xp fuel pump & hot wire, mt drag radials, moser axles, scanmaster, Innovative wideband, ls1 maf. I think that's about it. Thought this was something I could do before spring officially arrives. Pulling the engine would be about a 2 year project for me. I've owned it for about 20 years. Gets about 1k miles on it a year at most. Sees the track a couple times per year. I probably will just wait on this and work on my tuning.