challenged by a cobra

Originally posted by V8'sHAHA
20 bucks says the cobra won't hook up...

I agree with V8’sHAHA statement. I can almost guarantee you that the cum-stang will not hook up on the street. Most guys who drive cum-stangs like to launch hard off the line when they race. These guys are easy to single out. Just listen to the way they rev their engine before the race begins. No matter if you are stock or modified, the TR will hook and by the time the cum-stang hooks, you will be several cars in front of him. Believe me, he will not have enough time to play catch-up because it’s a street race.

I agree with V8’sHAHA statement. I can almost guarantee you that the cum-stang will not hook up on the street. Most guys who drive cum-stangs like to launch hard off the line when they race. These guys are easy to single out. Just listen to the way they rev their engine before the race begins. No matter if you are stock or modified, the TR will hook and by the time the cum-stang hooks, you will be several cars in front of him. Believe me, he will not have enough time to play catch-up because it’s a street race.

Ricer-Logic

Originally posted by stroked347
Ricer-Logic

Yep. Pray that the other guy f's up because you don't have a snowball's chance in hell otherwise. If this is a pre-arranged race I think he'll have the traction thing figured out.

A pre-'03 Cobra would probably be easy prey. A 2003, however could be trouble. If you can believe what you read on the 'net, they are putting up some awesome numbers with very little trouble. I've also seen some totally stock appearing '03s at Island running low-12s in the high 11x.xx on their factory tires. With traction, well you do the math.

Jim

Originally posted by Joe231
Originally posted by V8'sHAHA
20 bucks says the cobra won't hook up...

Wow this guy fell on his head hard. :confused:

Forget all that hook up a washer tank and pump in your trunk and set up a sprayer to oil down his tires when you line up , that should work out . ;)

I would just get your car to run the best it can, You never know what he may or may not have, I have a 93 Cobra that is apart right now, but went 10.16 in 1996.

I am running TSM this year with one of my GN's which looks pretty stock also, There is always somebody faster, no matter what make or model.

I do find it hard to believe you own a 9 sec. Pony, and dont know in horsepower alone, what it takes to beat the 03. Do you have a NHRA 9 sec Liscence?

And having owned seven Mustangs, I didn't know they were the Buick enemy, Till visiting the TR web rings, Believe it or not it's the Camaro Z28......

I would like to think my GN is fast, But I still lost to a 9.06 Supra, I know it sucked but you have to give credit when it is due!

And I know this is the wrong site, But I clipped at least 20 GN's with that Cobra, And never lost to one, I bet you nobody posted those losses.......

Originally posted by twin 93 svt
And having owned seven Mustangs, I didn't know they were the Buick enemy, Till visiting the TR web rings, Believe it or not it's the Camaro Z28......

The "enemy" changes over time. In the heyday, when GNs were new or slightly used, you had the pony car rivalry going. The "enemy" then was the 5.0 Mustangs because they had a similar bang-for-the-buck factor.

Now, 5.0 Mustangs are somewhat of a rarity on the street around here (relatively speaking). It's weird because gobs of them show up at the track but they're not as prevalent as they used to be at the stoplights. When I do see one it's usually either a nicely cared-for late-80s one on a nice day (which is cool to see having owned an '88 droptop GT) or a totally ratted out piece of crap that shouldn't even be on the road.

In the early-90s, Ford threw in the towel on the pony-car race by putting a weaker 5.0 in a heavier, redesigned '94 GT as GM put a very powerful LT1 drivetrain in their redesigned F-body. We turned our attention to that new, bang-for-the-buck king-of-the-hill. Then later to the LS1 F-bodies. The Mustangs were pretty much out of contention from a street car perspective (obviously the rivalry still existed at the track with cars like yours and the annual Mustang vs. Buick events). Let's face it, if you've tweaked your Buick to run with an LS1 f-body, there aren't many stock or mildly modified Mustangs manufactured over the past 20-years that can keep up. Until now.

Now, the '03 Cobra comes out. It's nice to see Ford upping the ante in the power department when they really don't have to. There's no competition in that segment of the market. Because of their performance levels they're compared to Z06 Vettes and whatnot, but they serve a different market. They've even redesigned the Mustang for 2005.

Manufacturers keep raising the bar on the new stuff, and the innovators in this community keep stepping up to it. Thanks to them (and the people who tirelessly toil to keep boards like this running), we mere mortals can keep our 1987-era Buicks running with the quickest stuff out of Detroit even 17 years later. I think it's pretty cool that threads like this even exist.

Jim

Re: Re: 03 cobra's are no joke.

Originally posted by Reggie
Any videos of you racing with them?

Not yet. My car is running, but I am currently braking in the motor. I am sure I will take a shot once my car is race ready. However, all those races were rolling, I will want to race from a stop.