Ceramicoating DP and manifolds

TIMS87GN

Hey guys,
Well, the car is up for the winter and the next few projects will be underway before long. My question is, Who can do ceramicoating? If there is someone in the KY or Indiana area.. it would be great. I would like to get the manifolds and DP coated.

Thanks for you help!

Kip Asplund in Jeffersonville does powdercoating. If he doesn't do ceramic he might know someone who does.

FWIW & IMHO:
I don't know about in your area, but there have some very informative threads going in the last month and a half regarding ceramic coating and who does it that would be worth your time to read:
You will probably have to do a search under "Ceramic Coating"
www.turbobuick.com
www.*****buicks.com
www.ihadav8.com
www.t6p.com
www.turbobuicks.net
Some of the best "Who, what, when, why, & where" information regarding ceramic coating and similiar typer of coatings.

Just did a search about it the other day and only found very old threads - Thanks For The Links

I too was wondering about how well Jet Hot will hold up on the factory exhaust manifolds.

My turbo has an external wastegate flange and the block off plate was ceramic coated - it went to full rust just like the entire hot side of the turbo in no time. - Don't need that if the same wil happen to the headers

Blown&Injected,

Who did your ceramic coating? I was going to have the manifolds, turbine housing and DP coating by Swain Coatings in NY.

Thanks,

Steve.

My turbo ate a sensor so I sent it to Turbonetics for a rebuild and they included a new coated plate. The housing was not coated, just the wastegate block off plate, but it did not last long.

Do not know if Turbonetics does it themselves or sends it out.

A friend with a 69 Mach 1, 351W, has his headers done in the shinny Jet Hot. I have seen one of the header tubes glow bright red and it looked just fine even years later.

The coating looked perfect and since it was just a piece of plate 3/8" thick, it would be very easy to perfectly clean all sides to bare metal.

Unless people chime in with personal experience with a coating over time, I would not trust any finish on the turbine housing. The manifolds - maybe, and the down pipe should be OK because the exhaust has already done lots of work and the gases are expanding / cooling - but I hope to hear from some people about the Shinny Jet Hot or equivalent on manifolds and turbos.

Thanks for the replies guys. Those links were interesting. A friend here locally that races a Hiabusa suggested a place called HPC in Oklahoma. He said they do a coating that isn't ceramic, I don't recall what it was, but it is better. He has it coming off his turbo and says you can touch the pipe after a run and not burn your hand. He also recommended getting the turbine housing done to.
Does any of this sound familiar? Thanks for the input!

FWIW & IMHO:
I think that is Jet Hot, or at least it used to be. The acroynm "HPC"
stands for "High Performance Coatings" and I believe "Jet Hot" is the trade name of the process, unless the Jet Hot process name was sold to another company. The higher temperature coating that you are referring to is rather rough and unattractive, but it holds up to intense heat, something like 2000 or 2200 degrees, maybe.

My friend's Ben Mooneyhan's motor compartment with "Jet Hot" accent appropriately done in a few places

http://community.webshots.com/photo/92260488/92260873TyzdcZ

I have tried quite a few companies for doing coatings on exhaust components. Been unsatisfied with all of them. I had my Buick ATR headers, crossover, turbine housing and heat shield done a couple of years ago. I did it because the mild steel flanges that ATR uses on the SS headers were rusting and looked like crap.

I recently sent some parts out to Jet Hot in PA. I have a wholesale account through them now and they were the most reasonable as far as price goes I have found. The quality was also by far the best I have seen. I had some SB Chevy manifolds done for a truck I am building, the high gloss silver, darn things look almost chrome. It will NOT hold up to the EGT's we are running in our Buicks though. I also sent them some turbo parts for the turbo kits we build. My rep there told me to use the 2000 degree coating on them and it will hold up. Problem is, it's not pretty, kind of a semi-gloss black. Not sure what it's rust fighting ability is going to be.

I can come up with an address if someone is interested or if you want to get your parts in with my next big order I am sending out in about a week I could probably save you some money.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com

I've had Jet Hot 2000 ( black ) on my headers, cross over, and down pipe for 3 years. All look as good as when they were coated new. There is some slight peeling/wear where there is friction, ie. where the cut out slides onto the down pipe and where the down pipe flange rubs the turbo exhaust housing. These areas are not real bad but I wanted to be as honest in my evaluation as possible.