Cat back systems

87TIGN

Death by boost
Besides a quater inch in tube diameter what are the major differences between the Hooker cat back and the Flowmaster cat back. I like Flowmaster but I have had experience with it and from my experience it sounds PERFECT on V8's. Dunno what it sounds like on a six. Anyone have experience with either of these and can give me some pros and cons? Soundclips maybe? Looking for a performance exhaust for a motor pushin 450-500 or so when done, maybe more when the turbo and intercooler go on. Will be getting a downpipe from RJC and will run my dump alot but need something that will sound good and perform on the street when I have the dump closed up. Here they are:

HOOKER
Hooker Super Competition Cat-Back Exhaust Systems: HOK-16810HKR - summitracing.com

FLOWMASTER
Flowmaster Force II Cat-Back Exhaust Systems: FLO-17102 - summitracing.com

Thanks
-Andrew

I've never used a flowmaster system always a hooker catback.. I love the sound of the hooker nice mellow rumble. Running thru the exhaust compared to open dump pipe my car only picks up 1 tenth in the quarter mile and about 1 mph if im lucky so Im sure it flows good. Plus it fits good too.:cool: If you look at my sig. Im running these mods thru the hooker and best time to date is 11.60's at 115 mph.

I'm running flowmasters on a hooker catback system. They sound great to me. Some people have commented on why did I get rid of the 6 and put an 8 in when they hear it idle. I know people say they don't flow as well as other mufflers but I haven't seen any difference between going through the muffers and running an open dump tube at the track. I'm running in the same horsepower range as you, around 450.

I have a Hooker cat-back on my GN and love it. Nice mellow rumble with no drone. The times in my sig were done with this system. :cool:

Thanks guys I am gonna pick up the Hooker system and give her a shot (no pun intended) and Ill let ya know how it goes.
-Andrew

I would not recommend the mufflers that come with the kit if they are the Hooker Super Competitions. My set up with these would drone inside the car. Try to get them changed to Hooker AeroChambers or MaximumFlows.

I had a flowmaster one that i got off of someone on here, he won it and sold it to me for next to nothing. Its not a BAD setup, but i wouldn't call it good either.

I wouldn't pay the price they ask for them, sound is pretty close to stock and flow isn't much better.

For the price, fit, performance & sound--you can't beat the Hooker system. I noticed NO improvement with my dump open--but I'm only at the 13.0 sec/350 HP level.

My system is an older one, with the original Super Comps & yes there is some drone--but it's not obnoxious enuf for me to replace muffs (they're still in good shape & I kinda like the sound...). Of course, everyone's ear/tone/ sounds are interpreted differently...

Yes, the AeroChambers & MaxFlows reportedly flow better & I would definitely go for the upgrade to Aeroflows minimum--if SuperComps will come in the std pkg system. Talk to your friendly Summit rep...

I have a Hooker cat-back on my GN and love it. Nice mellow rumble with no drone. The times in my sig were done with this system. :cool:

Sorry for being off topic.... but.... You been to the track yet with that alky kit yet...?

You coming to BG?