Cat back For TTA --Which

BandAid

Keyboard Bully
Looking for Quiet,good flowing and cheap..is there such a think..for the TTA of course...

I had a Hooker on one of my TTAs. I did not really like it either. But it was cheap. When I bought a cat back for my other TTA I bought a custom made one from FLP in Naperville. 3" SS with a SS Ultra Flow. It was about $700 installed. Worth every penny over the Hooker to me. I used the stock tips too.

I have the Hooker cat back it looks and sounds ok and the tips look kinda like the stock tips but larger .You can save the $$$$ stockers in your attic.

I was thinking of a good exhaust also, the ones I found so far thow are not cheap, but atleast they are stainless steel. For a quiter system, Magnaflow may be the way to go. Borla adjustable looks very nice & you can tune it to were you want it, but comes with a price. A very uique looking system I've never seen yet or heard on a TTA is the GMMG stainless chamberd exhaust. This one sounds great on the V8 cars, just unsure on the 6cyl, but looks different thow, but again pricy. Check out you tube for exhaust sound clips, that may help narrow your search.

Need to order the Hooker asap.....anyone have the part number for it,seems there are a few,just want to get the right one the first time....my FN car sounds like poop,with the Flowmaster on there....:mad: :mad:

It's not that loud... LOL!!!!!

Just a dual outlet super turbo (Dynomax) would take care of that. Could re-use the pipes you've got now.
~Scott

Need to order the Hooker asap.....anyone have the part number for it,seems there are a few,just want to get the right one the first time....my FN car sounds like poop,with the Flowmaster on there....:mad: :mad:

Just checked my invoice from Summitt Racing and the p/n on mine is 16820HKR

Curious on what would a GMMG or Borla adjustable would sound like on a TTA, Anybody have one of these systems w/sound clips?

The Borla while expensive is in my opinion probably the best flowing stock appearing system aside from a full custom built system. It is a true 3" all S/S single shot with a built in cutout in the rear (insert electric cutout :cool: ). No cross-flow muffler "1 in 2 out"...just a straight through 3" in 3" out with stock looking tips...one set on the muffler and one set on the cutout. When the time comes this is my 1st choice...personaly I'm not putting cheap plain steel junk on my TTA ;)

I have heard the Borla w/electric cutout on several LS1 Camaro and TA's...they sounded great but have not on the TTA yet. I would assume it sounds like most other straight through single shot GN/TTA's and should sound just fine.

I have always read that turbo cars don't particularly like chambered mufflers and that you should use straight through mufflers instead. Chambered muffler typically generate back pressure...fine for monster big blocks but not the preference for small cubic inch forced induction cars.

Attachments

• Borla 14888.jpg
    Borla 14888.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 275
The Borla system looks great, but if you didn't want to use an electric cut out, for a stock car, what plate would be the best to use? I would think either way it would be a nice deep rumble sound being 3" piping. Looking at the GMMG stainless system looks different, but really good also. I heard the same thing with turbo cars & chambered exhaust isn't the best to use like Flowmaster. But the GMMG I heard flows the similar to a Magnaflow or better. What's the difference between a Flowmaster with internal baffles or a Chambered witch you can see threw?

you can't see thru a chambered muffler...magnaflow & borla are straight thru with no baffles...look in one end and see straight out the other. they are kind of like a glass pack but don't burn out after a couple months :)

as far as what baffle to use on the borla that would be personal prefference...either way not hard to change til you find what you like and the system will still flow like a full 3" single shot and way better then any cross flow muffler.

-Scott

Thanks for the good info. For the TTA what would be the best High flow converter. I heard some say its the same part number as the GN & some say its the T/A V8 converter, there both different part numbers & ones 2.5in & ones 3in. I was looking at the Magnaflow converters, just unsure witch one to look into? Is there a thread on this topic?

i picked up a S/S Magnaflow 3" universal hiflow cat for my emission test. I fabed up a 4-bolt flange for the exhaust side and had it welded on...the inlet fits right on my 3" DP. Also goes inplace of my 3" dump as well...couldn't find one with the flange that would be a direct swap.

scott

according to his sig "89mulletbird" is running the full Borla system on his TTA...maybe.he.will chime in on how it sounds.

-Scott

Ive got a Borla cat back on my 99 SS vert and it sounded deep before i put the long tube headers on now it is very raspy . dont know how it will sound on a TTA.

Just curious, would any 4th gen exhaust system fit on our cars? They seem to have a better selection of choices when it comes to cat back systems. I'm sure modifying or changing the bracket locations would have to be done & connection to the cat. Anybody ever do this?