Casper's Ign Module/Coil Pack Tester and Non-GM Parts...

brn agn

I've been trying to get our TTA ready for its first time at the track (since we have owned it). I was having some problems with knock, so I tested the ignition module and coil pack using the Casper's tester. I noticed that one of the coils had an intermittent misfire. So I stop by the local parts store this morning to pick up an AC Delco unit ($177). The guy at the counter told me that the Delco unit had a 1 year warranty, while a Borg Warner unit had a lifetime warranty, was $25 cheaper and was in stock. I know most people on the board will only buy genuine GM parts, but I have to prove it to myself that they are worth the extra cost. So I buy the Borg Warner unit, bring it home and test it. No spark whatsoever. It was like the connector was not hooked up to the module. So I did everything I could think of and could not get any spark. I took it back to the store. They didn't have a replacement in stock, but the parts store in the next town did. So I drive there, pick up the module and test it in the parking lot. Guess what? No spark! So I go back to the first store to exchange the module for a GM unit. It will be in on Wednesday, so they asked me to keep the module until the new one comes in. So just for fun, I put the Borg Warner module on the car tonight. It started up and seemed to run similiar to the one that I pulled off. Now my question is, "am I missing something?". I assumed with no spark at all that the car wouldn't even start. I measured the length of the pins in the module, the width, placement, etc... to make sure I was not testing the module incorrectly. Everything seems to check out. I re-tested the old module with the coil to ensure that my tester was still working...and it was. Has anyone else had similar experiences? Thanks.

I believe if you do a search, there should be mentions of Caspers' tester not working with some aftermarket modules.

Give John S a call if you cannot find this topic.

Steve, You are right...I must have missed the thread when I searched for it earlier. It will be interesting to see how the car runs with the AC Delco unit. If anyone is interested, here is the link to one of the threads:

CCCI Simulator