Caspers cam sensor tool not lighting up?

griz_83ho

As the title says, I borrowed a cam sensor tool and long store short nothing I do by turning the cam sensor makes the led light up. What the hell could the problem be? I tried with ignition on, off, I think about evey combo. Got pissed and rotated the sensor 360 degrees around and nothing. Any help or direction would be great.

More than likely the 9 volt battery is dead inside the cam sensor setting tool.

I had one do that years ago. You can replace the battery but the connector is soldered on. So you will have to solder the connector on or tape it in place long enough to set the sensor.

My first questions should have been why are you needing to reset the cam sensor? Did you buy a new one? Is it a known good used one?

If you know for certain the cam sensor assembly is good then i would look at the cam sensor setting tool as being the problem.

take cam sensor cap off and plug it into tool ,if no led either 9v battery is dead or cap is no good

youll need a solder gun to change the battery inside

without the tool ,
set balancer to mark at 25 ATDC
remove sensor cap
drop sensor body in with dot on gear toward the passenger fender (perpendicular to centerline of crank
and when its in correct the reluctor window will be at the 3-4 oclock position , if its not remove ,spin the oil shaft a little bit and try again

, if it was dropped in correctly and you are on the compression stroke 25ATDC the relucto window will be it at 3-4 oclock position . the lead edge is the lower edge of the window opening toward the 4 oclock

find the the cap notch on the sensor that indexes the cap and spin base so notch is around the 11oclock position
when you can draw a straight line from the lower edge of reluctor window through the center screw to the notch thats it , tighten bolt down on timing cover , put cap back on

if this is in the car with sensor plugged
set the balancer at 25atdc on balancer and
turn igniton key to on (remove ignition wires)
use a volt meter with probe slid into back of the signal wire look for the voltage drop as you spin the sensor counter clockwise , thats the edge ,tighten it down

heres procedure with tool and volt meter and youll see pics of the window and notch
http://vortexbuicks-etc.com/cam_sensor.htm

Last edited: