CART turbo boost question

ponch

I have a quick question. I was reading an article about CART racing and the motors that they use run upwards of 41.5 in. of boost. Is that 41.5 pounds of boost? or inches? What is an inch of boost compared to a pound? If I am running 16 PSI(pounds square inch) would that be 4 inches of CART boost?

Thanks

I think it is measured in inches of mercury. Don't remember how that compares. I was told once but sold those brain cells for beer money. :D
Tarey D.

If it's 41.5 in of Hg absolute, that's 20.4 psia which is about 5.7 psig of boost. Not very much.

remember that 29.92 in Hg = about 14.7 psi = atmospheric pressure.

Originally posted by ponch
I have a quick question. I was reading an article about CART racing and the motors that they use run upwards of 41.5 in. of boost. Is that 41.5 pounds of boost? or inches? What is an inch of boost compared to a pound? If I am running 16 PSI(pounds square inch) would that be 4 inches of CART boost?

Thanks

=========================

Here's some info...

The Turbocharger
All Champ Car engines use a turbocharger to improve their performance. The turbocharger pressurizes the air flowing into the engine's cylinders so that the engine can burn more fuel during each stroke. The extra fuel means extra power per stroke.

A Champ Car engine runs with a turbo boost of 40 inches (about 19 PSI). When the turbo over-pressurizes things, a pop-off valve releases the extra pressure.
===========
Click here..

http://www.howstuffworks.com/champ-car10.htm

:)