Carrillo rods, how much do they take?

I was also running carrillo rods making about 1300 hp 3550 lbs 8.40s @164 with a Innovative 88. When I put on Harrys 91.5 at 26 lbs of boost it ran 8.57 when I took it to 31 it had enough and vented the block. I would agree with Dale 1250-1300 hp is about max I will tell you that carrillo will tell you differently they told me 300 hp a hole. I think we can answer that question for them They are good rods but they have their place. For whats its worth we put Olivers for this go around.

Carrillo Told me over a year ago that Thier rods for the buick v6 were not made for forced induction motors. That was enough for me not to ever use a set.

Just a thought, but why aren't more high-HP Buick motors running aluminum rods? God knows there are several makes out there that will hold up just fine, and save a ton of weight from the bottom end. Depending on how many races you're running, I would think you'd get at least 30 - 40 runs from a good set of GRPs [or similar], given a 1,300 - 1,500HP range. We pound sets at around 2,750 HP at 9,500 - 10,500RPM, and replace them every dozen runs or so. We haven't broken one in 2 years.

Are there none out there that will work in a Buick?

Oh I'm sure someone makes a good aluminum rod. Hell, crower makes a titanium rod for our motors, but I think the cost of a titanium or aluminum or a billet steel rod is what sways people. You're talking like $2700 for a good set of crower titanium rods. That is a little much for some people. Including myself.:D

Originally posted by QuickWrench
Just a thought, but why aren't more high-HP Buick motors running aluminum rods? God knows there are several makes out there that will hold up just fine, and save a ton of weight from the bottom end. Depending on how many races you're running, I would think you'd get at least 30 - 40 runs from a good set of GRPs [or similar], given a 1,300 - 1,500HP range. We pound sets at around 2,750 HP at 9,500 - 10,500RPM, and replace them every dozen runs or so. We haven't broken one in 2 years.

Are there none out there that will work in a Buick?

Let us try some of your left overs~!:D

Guy's,

The problem with Aluminum rods is that they are too bulky. If you run an Aluminum rod in a Buick you cant run a long stroke crank. The larger cap on the rod is a interference problem with the camshaft. Stock stroke would be about it. The only guy I know that currently runs Aluminum rods is D i c k Kerney in his TSM motor.

Neal

Thanks for the info neal. So is there a big difference in size between the aluminum rod versus a titanium rod?

Stu,

The titanium rods I have seen appear to be dimensionally the same as steel rods. Aluminum rods are probably almost twice as massive.

Neal

Cool, I've got the steel carrillo's, just wanted to know in case I ever run across a set of used titanium rods for cheap...yeah right.:D

Originally posted by John Wilde
Let us try some of your left overs ;)
No problem. I could get someone a set for ~$200 or so, when we have them. The last few sets I've pulled have looked perfect. They're for a 526ci Brad Anderson Hemi, though...not sure how that would work out for your SII. ;) If someone were building a kick-@ss street rod or something, they'd be perfect. Most of our good, useable pre-run stuff goes up to Holbrook Performance to be resold. Check out their site sometime; they've got anything you could dream of.

Originally posted by 750H.P.V6
...If you run an Aluminum rod in a Buick you cant run a long stroke crank. The larger cap on the rod is a interference problem with the camshaft...
That's what I figured. Thanks, Neal.

Big Stu, what's the scoop on your Pro Mod project car?

Oh, that's a term I coined to this gn that I'm building. When finished it will have all carbon fiber body panels, carbon brakes and a high horsepower twin turbo stage 2 between the tube front end. I have put so much money into this car already, and it still looks like it's about 1/3 done.:D Pro-modified is probably one of my favorite classes to follow, I like how as much emphasis is put on suspension and clutch tuning as it is on making power. Pretty cool.:cool:

Yeah, there's nothing subtle about this car. It is a purpose-built terror. How's the house shopping treating you john?:)

Last week we over bid $77k and we got laughed at.
Today we over bid $62K in a not great location.
The winning over bid today was about $100k.
So basically $780k to $820K for a 1200 to 1500SF 50 year old house.

I am getting sick of the Fing Bay Area!!!

Holy Overpriced Dirtpile, Batman!!!!! Tell Kenny D. to move the shop down here to Greenville. They're all but giving away industrial space here, and we just bought a decent 15 year old house on 1.8 acres for $86K.

Maybe then he could drop the price on a nice TT Pro Mod motor for the old car, so we could start testing along with Annette Summer. ;) I'm tired of stripping blowers. (...well......not really...)

And people wonder why I left Kalifornia and moved to TN.

Good Grief John, sounds like you need to get away from the left coast ;) I looked into moving to Santa Maria about 4 years ago. I just could not get over the fact that I could sell my place in Va (2000 sqft brick rancher on 4 acres) and my property in Alabama and I still could only come up with a down payment for a 1100 sqft house on a 1/4 acre lot .... California real estate prices are nuts.