Carbed Hot Air Engine Pics

trivownr

Would someone please post a pic or two of the underhood area of a carbed, turbo V-6. I'm trying to scratch build a 1/25 scale set up for Jeep Commando model car that I'm building. The model came with a Buick V-6; I'd like to "upgrade" it a little.

Thanks,

Phil Cooley
84 Riviera T-Type

how's these?

Attachments

• P1010035.jpg
    P1010035.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 265
  • P1050039.jpg
    P1050039.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 268
FYI, someone (I Think it might've been revell or AMT) put out a turbo trans am kit that had the 3.8L V6 and turbo setup. Could always buy that kit, and cast duplicates of the parts and detail them up, or do a straight up kitbash.

I'd love to see a picture of the model when you're done.

Thanks for the pics!

From what I can see, it looks like the fuel and air mixture flows through the carburetor and then is compressed by the turbo. That is very different from the hotair SFI turbo setup of my 84 Riviera.

On my Riv, the air flows through the throttle body into the turbocharger compressor and into the intake manifold. The fuel injectors atomize the fuel and its added to the compressed air just before it enters the cylinder heads. Anyway, your pics will help me fabricate a believable system.

Thanks a bunch! And I'll post a pic of the turbo Jeepster once I get the engine figured out. I have two GMC Syclone kits and I'll probably use the turbo from one of them to make my system.

Phil Cooley

the carbed systems are called draw throughs, they are usually prone to icing at cold temperatures. The problem with those setups is that fuel tends to puddle in the compressor when the car is not running, plus you cannot intercool the system nor put a bov on them. Alot of VW engine builders use this style because of the simplicity though

Make sure you post pics of the finished product. It's too bad it's only 1/24th scale.

If only a teensy bit larger you can really get into detail. (I'm a modeler from way back. Mostly 1/35 scale armor though).

I can appreciate the madness. :cool:

the carbed systems are called draw throughs, they are usually prone to icing at cold temperatures. The problem with those setups is that fuel tends to puddle in the compressor when the car is not running, plus you cannot intercool the system nor put a bov on them. Alot of VW engine builders use this style because of the simplicity though

Hmmm, never had an icing problem with mine, even in the winter. I have no idea how fuel could puddle in the compressor when not running. :confused: I'd surely never want a BOV either.

Actually, technically you could run a BOV, you just couldn't vent it to atmosphere. However, if you plumbed it back in below the carb, into the plenum, if is fesibly possible.

Also, here are some semi-stripped down engine pics.:D

Attachments

• front1.jpg
    front1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 220
  • pats_005.jpg
    pats_005.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 222
  • pats_011.jpg
    pats_011.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 211
Wow , Brings Back Memorys ! I Had A Blow Through System Running Like High 13s Back About 15 Years Ago ! I Learned Alot From That Set Up, I Never Had An Icing Problem Even With The Plenum Heater Off !

Model Engine pics

I finally finished up the exhaust system for the carbed turbo V-6 engine I built for my Jeepster. I've enclosed several pics. I ended up fabbing my own system using a turbo and carburetor I scrounged from my parts box. I know its not 100% accurate, but its pretty close. Doing the downpipe was a challenge as the engine fits right up against the firewall.

Attachments

• 100_6991 (Medium).JPG
    100_6991 (Medium).JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 167
  • 100_6992 (Medium).JPG
    100_6992 (Medium).JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 100_6993 (Medium).JPG
    100_6993 (Medium).JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 100_6994 (Medium).JPG
    100_6994 (Medium).JPG