carb v6 experts; advice sought

CamoDeafie

FWD, RWD, dinky 3.0 v6, 3.8, or even 4.1, doesnt matter; its an 82 Olds i'm looking at; among other cars (been finding rwd centuries and a few other GM cars with the Buick V6s lately around here; some in auction listings, some by owner); my question is basically...since its got a dualjet carb, and its an 82; in this county (Polk) theres no emissions requirements; unlike several other counties to the north of here (Portland area mainly)...what are the benefits to building a NA v6 with emissions delete stuff and removing EGR, removing air pump if so equipped, removing EECS charcoal canister, AC delete, and this particular Olds' chassis family had the option of manual steering (same as the Citation, being a Ciera); so I'm looking to have a sanitary engine bay, as sanitary as possible lol....a Quadrajet, with the matching ESC and Computer; custom tubular headers, no power steering, if applicable,....no AC....no emissions control stuff.....my main question here, is it possible to build up such an engine bay to resemble that of a 60s or 70s carbed engine bay with the lack of a mess of hosing and wiring so commonly found in the 80s cars?
this is entirely dependent on if i find a RWD A-body, a G-body, or whatever it is that has the Buick V6s in there from GM.....(FWD included, but the majority of the 3.8 v6'd engines in the fwd cars for sale are EFI and as such, cant be made sanitary as easily as the SIlver Bullet's owner made it look....)

The catch here is that it's Federally illegal to tamper with emissions equipment. You can remove all of it but if you move to an area that has emission testing then you're screwed. If you sell it to someone being altered and they live in a area where emissions is required then they can report you so that they can drive the car legally, and you have to either take it back or repair the car. Granted, this is rare but it can happen.

right, I understand that; likely I would be the 'final owner" of the car whichever I happen to be able to buy when the time comes; (likely the 82 Oldsmobile ciera with the dinky carbed 3.0 v6 lol) if the emissions stuff doesnt work, and I'm able to build the engine from a 3.8 v6 (LG3 type) from a junkyard, then I'd like to be able to reduce the number of acc drives so i can retain more power (to lose through the trans..ironic how that works lol) and I am def going to have a cat on the exhaust system regardless, since its likely to be tailpipe testing, IF i move to a county north of here, or if Marion decides to join the portland counties in environmental controls...if go out of state, well yeah if i get caught, yeah i'm screwed lol, unless i have all the original stuff in a box ready to go on (with the likely exception of the EGR system)

I want to know mainly, how much cleaner could the engine bay look, and what lines, sensors, would be required in addition to the carb controls and the spark plugs

Well you could use the RWD distributor for 78-80 for the NA app to start with. Then just take the rest off. A 4.1 intake or maybe and Edlebrock and a carb. I'd leave the charcoal canister and dummy it up, that way you look a little more "legal". Pretty simple really.

They had V6's in the 1960's, so you coud make it look like that if you wanted.

But some of that stuff in there helps. Don't assume it's all bad.

A lot of that stuff is for the AIR or smog pump. If you went with a newer catalytic convertor (without the AIR tube), you can get ird of a lot of that stuff. The pump, tubing, the two big valves, etc. That's of course if the emissions police are using tailpipe emissions only and not verfiying that the stock stuff is in place. (The newer cat is better, but they don't always understand that.)

hmm. i was thinking Q-jet, obviously its the same as the 4.1 intake? I wonder, when did they stop using "AIR pumps" but kept the EECS and PCV and EGR systems?

AIR pumps are still in use on some apps. It to allow for more air to enter the exhaust so the left overs will be a little cleaner. Reduced carbon emisions is the main goal. PCV systems keep the engine running cleaner buy purging the blow by out of the engine, which keeps the engine in better shape. EGR reduces NOX emissions and cuts combustion chamber temps to reduce detonation.

so if i want to keep it looking legal, i should at least keep the EGR and PCV if equipped....hmm I did not see a pulley marked for the FWD LG3 3.8 block for an AIR pump...then again, this being a Haynes manual, one never knows lol. >.> will be checking the engines over again and making sure theres no leaks anywhere from the various gaskets surfaces, when time comes to buy a 3.8 equipped or 3.0 or even 4.1 equipped car

Keep the PCV because it helps get rid of blow by in the engine. It's up to you whether you keep the EGR or not though.

alrighty awesome, I just came across a 1981 Buick Regal 2 door for $600 on the local CL, says engine is worn, but trans is operable, I emailed, got this reply that its got a v6, and a phone number for my dad to call to offer $500-550, it looks rather decent, if the local Buick guys dont already got it lol....am i correct in guessing that the v6 in there is an older, non turbo blocked 3.8 v6 with the 2 barrel dualjet carb? (were the NA 4.1s available as an option on the regals?)

YES! not as common as the 2bbl 3.8 or diesel's the 4bbl 4.1L was an option for the Regals.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

it got sold this morning before i could make the call >.<

yes indeedy it does stinks worse than the diary holding pond next to highway 99W and 22. at least the 82 Olds with the 2 bbl rochester carb and 3.0 v6 is still there...apparently the heads on it and valve covers are of an older type with the 4 edge bolts holding them down and the weird(for FWD 90deg v6s lol) rounded valve covers (no fins, no center studs, etc) ..

my plans are to get a bare LG3 block, get a set of 8445 heads, IF the 3.0 doesnt have them on, port the heck out of the heads, and intake, get a set of L36 Series 2 pistons matched to the bores (probably machine the bores depending on how worn the block is), use the 3.8 stock connecting rods, stock 3.8 crank, find a roller lifter cam with gear drive for distributor and oil drive, transfer the little stuff and timing cover to the LG3 block along with the original intake and equipment, see how much better it does with more airflow and displacement....my friend TUrbokinetic found that the L36 Series 2 NA pistons are 3.8" bore and just right for getting 9.8:1 CR on his LN3 build, using the stock connecting rods and stock crank from the LN3; so looks like there's the option of higher CR with the L36 pistons, but would have to mix n match parts to get the desired CR and stuff lol. this should be an interesting build, for the carbed v6 in the FWD 82 ciera, if the car can be gotten for a decent price (read, no mroe than $600,)