Car won't stay started now.

When I plug the translator back in and floor it at a moderate rate, the AF value shoots up to something in the 20's but then goes right back to 4 again.

I have a translator pro but one of the sensor monitors is FI (Frequency In). Does the Gen2 have this as well and could you use it to tell you whether the MAF is good or bad? There is also a FO (Frequency Out) which will tell you what its sending the ECU.

Just a thought...

then, go do the KOEO test while watching AF. That will show you what it looks like when the ECM doesn't have a MAF signal. From that point on, that will be your 'given' when doing this test.

When the factory came up with this method, they were counting on having a stock MAF talking to the ECM with nothing in between. when the MAF fails or comes unpluged, the ECM has a solution to get you to the dealer.

So when the maf fails, it then goes off of that other fuel table just to get us to the dealer. Its 'limp' mode if that's the correct term. But how come it dies and won't restart when I start it with the maf plugged in then unplug it while it's running? Why doesn't my car have this limp mode then?

The gen2 may have something to do with it. You would have to unplug it as well.

Do this. KOEO go to int in the scanmaster. It should read 12. Hit the mode button again go to bl. Slowly pess the gas till bl reads 4. Hold the gas on 4 and shut the key off. Thats open loop idle. It should idle better.

Rick

I did unplug the translator when I did the test.
And don't turbo tweak chips run in open loop anyways?

Last edited:
I did unplug the translator when I did the test.
And don't turbo tweak chips run in open loop anyways?

Yes. I was referring to the extreme G chip. Thats the one you should be running with the gen 2.

Did you try and start the car with the gen2 unplugged?

No. Only the maf unplugged. I was assuming that the car wouldn't start if the translator wasn't hooked up. Isn't the condition replicated when either the maf or the translator is unplugged?

Understood. Will try that next. Stand by 'till 1530.

I'm going to try and figure out how to work this power logger next. Maybe that will help us out.

No. The gen2 translator has to be unplugged in order for limp mode to take over.

That's what I mentioned back on page 1. If the translator is plugged up the ECM thinks there's a MAF there. Since the Translator's job is to mimica MAF.

Oh. Sorry lol. I didn't realize that. I was running around a hundred miles an hour these past few days. Ok, started the car, unplugged the translator, and the af shot to 12, and idled a little rougher, but still ok though. Shot a 34 mal code too. Plugged it back in, turned it off, turned it back on, the ses light went away, and the af went back to normal and idled smoother.

no.... key on, engine OFF to do the tests.

You might need to unplug the ECM wire too. I'm not sure if a MAF code is a hard code or not.

I did that test with the engine off already. Let me find the post. Post 41 and 42 is with the translator unplugged and depressing the throttle. 254 on the AF and 4 when it's just sittin' there.
With everything still plugged in, key on engine off, the AF is 4. When I hit the throttle, the numbers jump up, but only congruent with how hard I smashed the pedal. After they fluctuate up they come back down immediately to 4. They do not stay where they're at, regardless of my pedal postion.
When I unplug the translator, key on engine off, the AF number goes from 4 to 6 as soon as I unplug the translator, and that number steadily increases as I depress the pedal. The number stays in relation to where my pedal is. From what you guys have been describing, this is starting to sound like right to me. It seems to be guessing when the translator's unplugged. Am I getting this right?

Last edited:
Not guessing. When the translator is unplugged the signal to the ecm is lost therefore throwing the ecm in limp mode.

It sounds like it working the way it's suppose to.

Rick

Cool. Thank you for your help guys. Going to take it on another test drive. Though, can you speculate as to what made it run like shit during that little break?