Car Won't Crank

dabobbo

Hi there, I was hoping I could get some ideas. My situation: I just moved to NJ from just outside of Milwaukee, WI. Between the U-Haul with all my stuff, my wife and I's daily drivers and the two cats, I had to leave my '87 GN at my friends house in Wauwatosa, WI, in his garage. I will be going back, probably next month, to drive it back to NJ. I'll be there for a week, so I will have a little time.

So I just got a phone call from my friend. He pulled the car out of the garage, it started fine. When he went to start it to pull it back in, it wouldn't crank. No starter noise or anything. The lights are fine, we have juice, but no crank. He knows cars, but not GN's.

The first thing I thought of is that there used to be a kill switch on the car that I removed years ago. There was a relay in there that I took out (I think it was on a pink wire coming from the ignition, it's been awhile) and I just hooked the wire back together. If that wire came apart somehow, the engine wouldn't crank, just like when the kill switch was on. I figure no matter what the problem it has to be electrical.

Two questions:

Is there anything else I should look at that might cause this?

Is there a good GN shop in the Milwaukee area? I need to get this car running in the week I am there or I don't have a ride back to NJ. :eek:

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Bob

Possibly the neutral safety switch isn't fulling engaged. With the shifter in park, have him manually try to rotate the part of the steering column (that turns when the shifter is moved through the gears) to the left to make sure it's engaging the neutral safety switch. Could just be out of adjustment.

There could be something going on with a alarm. Try unlocking the drivers door with the key and see if it will start. If I lock my car with the powerlock switch and then later unlock it with my alarm remote the starter won't crank. It took me awhile to figure out what was happening. I know you did not mention a remote but it can't hurt to try. Good luck!

kinda got same prob. i didnt even know i had an alarm till the other day. it will NOT start and alarm button nonstop blinking. I'm stuck myself!