Car still smokes....

turboculosis

Pleasant peasant
Just got the turbo back after getting freshened up at Limit Eng.As I took her for a ride with the fresh turbo in, she started smoking again but not as bad as with the bad seals.It only tends to smoke when temps are around 180*coming off a stop,then goes away.I don't get any smoke under WOT,but once I let off I get a small puff.It's definitely oil burning (bluish in color).I removed the turbo outlet hose to see if it was the turbo,no oil(dry).I removed the plugs and found oil not so much on the electrode but mostly on the threads of the plug.I am leaning toward the valve guides and or seals,and pulling the heads to verify the problem.Now,is this the way to go?Or am I going about it the wrong way?Is it obvious I have bad piston rings???Thanx for you time,Alan

Did you flush out the IC and the inlet pipe? Also good to use a can of GM engine top cleaner.

I have yet to check the exh. side of the turbo.As far as flushing the i/c, I haven't done that.I did clean out the i/c pipe and inlet pipe.At this point should I cancel out the turbo since it just got the seals(both sides)done??Any one have problems with their turbo being bad so soon after getting the seals changed?

When you let off the gas, the engine goes into vacuum for sure. So if it's the valve guides, it would draw through them due to the negative pressure in the cylinder. Usually, a turbo seal will puff smoke upon acceleration (at least mine did) and smoke away at idle. Is there a way you could run the car, let off the gas and then shut it off and park so you could check the plugs without restarting the car? I wouldn't recommend getting into boost, just cruising up to a good speed and then shut her down quickly and coast in. Be safe... Also pull the DP away from the housing and look for oil.

Thanx for the reply guys. John Larkin,I'm definitely gonna try that to see what the plugs look like.In pulling the DP from the exh. side,I found no oil either,just some carbon deposits.The one thing I did noticed was when I got it to the temp it smokes at,in cracking the throttle short several times, a puff of blue smoke would come out under between the turbo and pass. side header.It seems like the oil is getting burnt before it reaches the turbo.Doesn't it???

A buddy of mine dumped over a quart of oil out of his intercooler when he went to clean it after his turbo went south. I'd say valve guides, intake leak, or a worn ring or two.

Upon pulling the heads, I will let you guys know what I found.Again .....Thanks for the replies!!!:D

OK, here's the situation..In looking to pull the heads myself,I found that the heads were studded.I had no intent to pull the motor myself.So I sent her over to Fred at Dynotech.Upon pulling the motor and heads there,we found that the pistons were caked with crusty oil deposits(kinda like burnt oil on a frying pan).The oil looked as though it's been pouring into each of the cylinders from means of other than the guides.It was evident it was the rings also.Eveything else looked fine.If so,Fred will get the heads reconditioned(if needed),rering the pistons,and hone the block.Hopefully that is all.-----Alan