Car shut off on me while driving and won't start up again

nuc

Troubleshooters Please.........

While driving normally in town the car simply died and would not restart. It turns over just fine and I have good fuel pressure with the pump priming when I turn the key (new walbro 340).

I left the car over night and tried to start it the next day and it started and ran perfectly for about 5 -10 seconds, then it just shut off again. It once again will not restart and just turns over. There is no almost catching or anything, it just cranks,

Ideas on where to look first?

Thanks

P.S. The running for a few seconds and then dying and then not starting, throws me.

Did you have your timing belt replaced yet? Mines skipped a couple of beats. But it only restarted once after that. According to my mechanic damage is already done to the valves and pushrods.

This is an excerpt from another post that i used to trouble shoot my car.

"Troubleshooting Steps
If you completely lose the crank sensor, you will not see spark. You might smell fuel, but it will not start. When I lost mine, before I even looked under the car, I attached a timing light an cranked it over while pulling the trigger... No Flashy...

But, if you turn the key on, the pump runs for a second or 2 and shuts off. That sounds normal to me.

Since you have fuel pressure at the rail, the injectors sound like they are not receiving a pulse. Use a noid light to test pulses. I would begin to suspect the ignition module and/or the camshaft sensor.

Someone posted this and I cut it out of the thread an pasted it into my Palm Pilot: It is very brief, but you should get it figured out. I now wish I knew who to give the credit too! Great Stuff!

No start- no spark, has inj pulse = Ign Module

No start- w/spark, no inj pulse = ECM / Cam sesnsor <--Sounds like you are here!

No start- no spark, no inj pulse = Crank sensor or Ign module

Troubleshooting Steps:

1. Note CHECK ENGINE light. If it is not on, check all power items fuse, fuseable links, wires/connectors

2. Listen to how it cranks for possible dead cyl/compression problems

3. Shoot 3-4 seconds of carb cleaner in the intake (thru a vac port). If it starts, kicks, trys to start, then a lack of fuel may be at fault. Check pump (pressure,relay, fuse, low volts). Check filter, line restrictions,bad regulator. Could be stuck in 'Clear Flood' mode too.

4. If no change w/carb spray, check for spark. Pull a plug or use a timing light. If no spark, check ign module, crank sensor & related wires.

NOTE: If an ign module goes bad, always replace coil pack(s)."

Sounds like the ignition control module. (under the coil pack)
Or, the coil pack itself.

ANSWER!

Changed out the crank sensor, no help.

Changed out the coilpack and module with a spare that I had and that fixed it.

Thanks for the answers :)

dpoc69,

Maybe this was the post......

Here are some basics from Steve's Vortex site.

No start - no spark, has injector pulse - Check the ignition module
No start - has spark, no injector pulse - Cam Sensor or ECM
No start - no spark or injector pulse - Crank sensor or module

Lots of other good info there also.....:eek: