Car runs like $hit

Sinister86

hey guys, today was a bad day. my 86 gn strted running funny on acceleration, as if it was misfiring or something. as i drove it to the shop to get it checked out the problem only seemed to get worse. i can only describe it as having a really lumpy feeling with a horrible idle. the other bad thing is that my oil pressure was only around 10 psi even when driving, and about 2 when idling. of course i didnt want to drive it in this condition because id be up $hit creek if the engine seized. also, when i had the hood popped, there was a slight ping coming from the passenger side. we were thinking that it may be a timing issue, but this certainly would not explain the oil pressure problems. gimme your two cents.... thanks, Taylor

this IS a complete rebuild with about 800 miles on it!!!! thats why i am so frustrated. i dont see how it could be anything really serious but with my luck with these cars it might as well be. do all tr's blow up any time you give it gas or is it just mine?!?!, Taylor

hey Red Regal, the timing chain wouldnt be the culpret for the low oil pressure would it? idk, its a new timing chain too so who knows....

Didn't know it was a new re-build. Maybe your cam didn't make it. Cam gear to cam sensor gear drives oil pump. Are you waiting for a verdict from some shop?

yea, the engine is under warrenty so i have to continue to take it back to the same shop that put it in. the cam idea sounds like that could be it, considering that it ticks, runs lumpy, and with it driving the oil pump, having next to no oil pressure... ill keep you up to date on the news and progress, but the shop is not open on saturdays so i will not know until monday or tuesday when i get the final verdict. tanks a lot red regal for your input, ive got to go to prom today and it sort of eases my mind to know it could be something like the camshaft and not a complete rebuild again. thanks again, Taylor

oil pressure comes from the main bearings not the pump.
the pump just pumps the oil to the top of the motor then gravity takes over. sorry but it sounds like they put motor together like a small blok chevy(looser specs on crank).buick mills require tighter specs.

Oil from the main brgs???

BBBZZZZTTT !!! The oil pump DOES supply ALL the oil to the engine.
Suggest you take a look at a shop manual.

As for the brg clearances, the BUICK does run a bit tighter than a SBC.
Sounds to me as tho there may have been multiple brg failures, including the possibility of the cam brgs.:( :(

i suggest you re read my post i said OIL PRESSURE comes from mains. the oil pump does supply oil to motor but has nothing to do with PRESSURE.

oil press??

YOUR POST:

"oil pressure comes from the main bearings not the pump.
the pump just pumps the oil to the top of the motor then gravity takes over. sorry but it sounds like they put motor together like a small blok chevy(looser specs on crank).buick mills require tighter specs."

YOU read your post... Sure looks to me like that's what you said.
No point in a flame war, but WTF does gravity have to do w/ the way an engine gets oiled????
I'm outta here..
:D :D :D :D