Car runs great, idles great, TWO BENT PUSHRODS????

jnaarnold

johnarnoldphotography.net
Ok, so today, during the beautiful spring weather we have been having, I thought I would go ahead and change out my valve springs. I bought a set of the Comp Cams 980's. Long story short, I have two bent pushrods, one on each cylinder head. What I don't understand is how well this car has been running. It idles as smooth as can be. Now these arent the worst bend I have ever seen in pushrods, but they are bent none the less. The only thing I can think of is the guy that had this car before me said he had a timing chain and gear set put in. It must have happened then. Anyway, I ordered some from the parts house, they will be here tomorrow.
Also, what a paint to do valve springs..lol! I only wish I had the Kirban tool. I modified my compressor and made it through.
Any ideas from the engine gurus??

Thanks,
John

Piston hit the valves but not enough to shorten them and create lash or make them rub anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piston hit the valves but not enough to shorten them and create lash or make them rub anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not so sure about that...but I guess I wouldn't really know unless I tore the engine apart, or at least the heads off.
When I bought this car the PO said the timing chain and gears had been replaced. I almost wonder if it jumped time.
I even thought that with the old valve springs maybe he over-revved it floated the valves..again, just speculation.
Appreciate the reply Bison...and the insight.

I'm also in the process of swapping in the 980's. I made the tool out of an old rocker by hogging out the tip and welding an old steel 3/8" drive socket to the back. Works good. One bent PR on both banks? Were they both intake or exhaust and opposing cylinders? In my (limited) experience, they usually only bend while the engine is running, and mostly at a higher RPM, so your theory about an over-rev on weak springs is what I am also thinking. If it idles like you say, and I imagine you already compression tested it, that is the only thing that makes sense. I hope this helps, and that you get it going. What lead you to check the pushrods?

I'm also in the process of swapping in the 980's. I made the tool out of an old rocker by hogging out the tip and welding an old steel 3/8" drive socket to the back. Works good. One bent PR on both banks? Were they both intake or exhaust and opposing cylinders? In my (limited) experience, they usually only bend while the engine is running, and mostly at a higher RPM, so your theory about an over-rev on weak springs is what I am also thinking. If it idles like you say, and I imagine you already compression tested it, that is the only thing that makes sense. I hope this helps, and that you get it going. What lead you to check the pushrods?

I got it finished up last night and when for a seven mile cruise. It runs perfect...response seems better. The only spring that was tough was the last one on the passenger side. I modified my compressor tool by cutting off the handle. I am going to weld a 15mm hex head on it when I can get around to it...channel locks got the job done though. I ordered a few parts from Kirbans..should be here tomorrow..valve cover grommet and breather for passenger side.

I got it finished up last night and when for a seven mile cruise. It runs perfect...response seems better. The only spring that was tough was the last one on the passenger side. I modified my compressor tool by cutting off the handle. I am going to weld a 15mm hex head on it when I can get around to it...channel locks got the job done though. I ordered a few parts from Kirbans..should be here tomorrow..valve cover grommet and breather for passenger side.
That's awesome to hear. Glad it worked out for you.