Car not running, fuel issue? Ignition?

ACLR8R

Okay long story short, car died on me and left me stranded. It had poor fuel pressure so I replaced the filter and it ran fine for a while (3-4 min) then died again. I pulled the tank and drained the gas, cleaned the pump sock, and replaced all the rubber lines by the tank. Same thing ran good for a couple of minutes developed miss then died.
It now has good fuel pressure so I swapped injectors, chip, FPR, changed plugs, tried a new MAF, replaced the O2, and plugs. Car still doesnt want to run, when it does it has an intermittent miss, and stumbles. It wont take any load, as soon as I put the car in drive and it dies. Its running really fat for some reason (new plugs are turning black, and stinks of fuel). What else could it be ignition? Cam sensor? It doesnt throw any codes.

Thanks

Sounds like a cam sensor issue but I wouldn't swear by it. Please let us know when you find it.

I had a bad stalling issue when putting it in drive for a while, my IAC was at 0 and I had vacuum leaks. But this will not allow it to run rich, so you could have not only a vacuum issue but a module/coil pack issue or even as simple as a bad ignition wire. Cam sensors tend to just quit, I had one that would go into limp mode randomly.

Do you have a Scanmaster?

sounds like the problem is happening when the car is going into 'closed loop'. verify this with some kind of scan tool and check the various parameters such as INT, IAC, etc.
bw jones

All the sensors look good, nothing out of whack. All the plugs are coming out black so I dont think it's a single cylinder or wire. IAC counts are solid, and I cant detect any apparent vacuum leaks. I'm leaning towards a cam sensor right now, I'm going to get one the begining of the week to check. It's gotten to the point where it really wont start unless I play with it, and then it runs really bad and wont idle for more than about 3 seconds. I love when i get a combo plate of issues, I fix the low fuel pressure and it still wont run!:mad:

Thanks

Check the ...

module/coil pack, as Dr. Boost suggested.:eek: separate them and see if you have any burnt spots in there. Sounds like the module is overheating and on its way out.

Took it apart and everything looks normal, now dark or burned spots. It does do better cold though. Yesterday while messing around with it for a couple of hours it got to the point where I couldnt even start it. I went out just now and it fired right up, hardly missed but the longer it ran the more it would miss and sputter.

Maybe you can rent a module/coil pack from Arizona GN and see how it does before putting down over $300 for those items just to see if it will clear up.

A solid IAC in idle would be 20 - 30 counts so if that fits your solid, then your solid. :wink:

Nick is going to let me borrow some parts the beggining of the week to check it out.

I havent done an Ohm test on the coil pack/module I'll have to check that out.

While your...

at it, check to see if the pos. bat cable is getting corroded on the ends. Had to replace a cable on another car that was corroded on the starter post, causing all types of problems.:confused:

Well I finally figured it out. Crank sensor! Put it on, car fired right up and hasnt missed a beat. Took it around the block and all is good. Thanks, for your guy's help! Good thing to, my tranny from extreme automatics should be here this week :biggrin:

Thought I had it all fixed and took it for a drive and got about 5 miles from home and it did the same thing!:mad: Had my brother come and tow me home, again, checked the crank sensor and it was hammered already (scrapes on the inside of the sensor). I thought I must have installed it wrong so went and got another and when I installed it i noticed one of the "windows" or whatever they are called is tweaked a little.

I dont know what caused it but I will try and straighten in out tomorrow and hopefully get it running again. This car just loves leaving me on the side of the road.

Check your balancer Bolt. It could be loose and causing the interpider ring to scrap the sensor.:eek:

Yep... common occurrance.... balancer likes to come loose and wobble, taking out the crank sensor... go to gnttype.org to get the install/gap procedure for the NEXT :frown: new sensor....

And if it is the loose balancer bolt don't forget the red loctite. It will keep the bolt from loosing back out:biggrin: