Car makes noise while AC is on...

Orion231

I'm pretty sure it is the compressor...at first I thought it was a fan, because it sounds like a little brrrring noise almost like if a fan were on and it touched something. This only happens when I have the AC on, when the heater or anything else is on, it is fine. And this only happens when the car is rocked forward or backward...as in if I hit the brakes, or am idling around... On the interstate it is fine, and rather acts normally no noise, cools great, otherwise it cools great on the street I just turn it of cause of the damned noise.... What is it? :confused:

If its at ~1100 rpm its the R4 compressor and I dont think you can do anything about it. Just its resonant sound. If anyone DOES have a fix, let ME know, but every TR I've ever driven had the same noise.

Make sure you have all the bolts intented and that they are all tight on the compressor. I had a similar grinding noise in drive - turned out I was missing a bolt!

My clutch in the compressor makes some noise in salvageV6.

I have decided to just drive it and use it. Only use it 20-30 times a year anyway. Like today. :)

It would be cheaper to get another rebuilt for $120 than try to fix the clutch I think.

The noise....

The car just rolled over 170,000 miles, and to my knowledge the AC system has never been replaced, it has been flushed and converted to 134a. But this noise just recently started after winter, I will check all my bolts, it is just really annoying in traffic, cause it will *fart* and it is noticable from outside the car... Most people laugh really hard if they are riding, but it is easy to shut them up, when I put my foot down on the throttle... :cool: