Car keeps popping ccci fuse

Lturbo6

My 87 grand national is driving my up a wall. I'm driving pops a ccci fuse put another one in pops it instantly. I put 10 which is required it blows, I just put in a 25amp fuses car fine stays running what gives. No other circuit connected on that line. It popped fuel,ing fuse once it never popped again.

You may have a short somewhere. I would check all wires on that circuit connected to that fuse. I had a relay not fully plugged in and my charging/generator fuse kept blowing, causeing my batter volt gauge to be low and eventually a dead battery. I can't recall what the relay was maybe an ac relay but as soon as I snapped it back in the fuse stopped blowing. It would blow instantly when inserted and was very annoying. I had to look in the service manual to see what other circuits were on that fuse.
Good Luck

Funny thing is a put a bigger fuse in now it's not doing in at all. This all started after I left the car wash. Should I put the normal fuse back in it the check for failure or let it be.

Never a good idea to put in a bigger fuse let alone one that is over twice as big as the original! You can start a fire that way. The 10 amp fuse is protecting wiring that can only handle 10 amps. Putting in a 25 you could now be drawing 20 amps and heating up wiring or other components and can do severe damage or even start a fire. put the 10 amp BBC back in and find whst is causing the problem.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I just checked service manual the 10 amp fuse feeds the primary side of the ignition coils. There is probably a problem in the coil pack. I think I read somewhere if the tabs that the wiring connect to in the coil pack are bent the wrong way they can rub through the insulation in the ignition module in short out. I would take the coil pack of and look very closely under it and at the wiring that connects to the ignition module. I can't stress enough not to run with a 25 amp fuse in that circuit.

mine was right after replacing a stock type coil also,
after upgrading to a TR6,that is when you put a 20 or 25 A fuse in.

Here is the ccci fuse wiring from factory service manual

Attachments

• 1396574692266.jpg
    1396574692266.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 285
as I said if the tabs and not been correctly, when you tighten the coil pack down to the ignition module they may dig into the insulation and cause a short and blow the fuse

Ok I unplugged the 20 amp fuse, not gonna touch it till tomorrow when I put right fuse in.

We upgraded the fuel pump on a GN and it blowed the fuse on the first test drive. I had to put the pump on a separate fuse

Any new fuel pump should be on a separate fuse and hot wired. High volume fuel pumps draw more current then a stock pump.

Update!!!! put 10amp fuses back in car starts up, when its gets warm and goes into gear pop she goes. I got a new ignition module, coil pack still good. anything else to look for before I get the casper engine harness.

That checks the secondary side of the coils. A problem on that side usually causes a misfire under load/boost. It does not cause the fuse to blow. The 10 amp fuse feeds the primary side of the coils-that is where the problem is. To test that side you need to take the coil pack off the ignition module. It could still be a bad module but the wiring to the primary wiring needs to be checked as well.

I changed the ignition module checking to see if this did the trick. I also ordered new ignition switch. Only thing left after this is engine harness and everything else is new.