Car is Running Hot...

John84GN

Nice Monte...
Lately, my car is running a little hot...it has a 160 thermo, and just driveing around town, I'm about 180, but if I get into it at all a couple time in a row...(at the local cruising spot) I'm at 200-210 for the rest of the time until I shut the car off and take a break for about a half hour.

Granted that that's not too hot for the car, but w/ a 160 thermo, I think something's up. I did the no brainer stuff like checked the coolent level, and the connections to the guage, but I don't know where to go from there? I've never had a problem until about this week...the only mod I've done to it lately is an adj. fuel press. reg. but I did that the week of the NATS...dunno?

any suggestions?...thought's?...snide remarks? (j/k)

John

Don't know how old your radiator is but if it's the untouched, stock one, then I'd upgrade to a 3rd. Gen F-body unit. I can't say enough about how great this $118 radiator form Autozone and my used LT1 Trans Am dual fans (around $55 I think) are at cooling my car. If nothing maybe check for gunk or air in your hoses?

Not that this will bring you down enough to be were you want to be but what gauge are you using.

The VDO electric in my car is 15% off from what the scanmaster (just installed gotta love the 87 ecm) is showing. Even with a 140 alt it gets 10% hotter and I lose 10% of oil psi every time the bass hits.

My car runs 165 on a 80 % day with a cheapy universal (GM in and out) alum. rad from Jegs. $199 is a lot more than the $118 for a F-body unit but the Alum looks cool. :) This is with no shroud and a black majic from flex-a-lite. Fan is way loud though.

Fan clutch going bad? Maybe would explain the sudden change.

twins...

good call on the fan clutch...didn't even think that...I also forgot that I have turbolink...DOH!!!:confused: Next time I go out...I'm gonna hook up the computer and see what it REALLY is...

WHI

how is the install on the F-body radiator...like what does it look like, and how does it fit?

thanks for the reply's fellas..;)