Car cutting off/sputtering

Saladin45

There is a darkside
Hey y'all

I thought I had all the issues fixed with the car. For a couple of days the vehicle was fine, running great/etc.

Well, I was taking it down to my neighboors house to put it up on ramps for an oil change when all of a sudden as we're backing it into his driveway, the car cuts off. The car was running great from the moment I drove it out of my driveway up until I parrallel parked it in the street. Then when I turned it on to take it into his driveway in reverse, the thing cut out and continued to do so, stalling particularly while in gear.

It finally gets up on the ramps after like 20 minutes of fussing with it and then we get a look under the hood and under the vehicle itself. We did the oil change/new plugs, etc. And then I notice something. A crank sensor that I had someone put in months ago is... Well its messed up.

The wire itself has been getting slashed by the altenator belt. But... That's not the biggest issue. Where the metal peice of the crank sensor goes (The sensor itself) is actually hitting. I realized then, something must have gone terribly wrong.

How could a car go from running totally fine to messing up so badly? Crank/Cam sensor right? So today my neighboor (Who happens to have been a mechanic and still does mechanic work) is getting a crank sensor from one of his shops and is going to be installing it correctly. (The guy I had before install it later proved he didn't know so much about cars, little to my knowledge at the time when he put it in)

What I'm wondering is, the car, prior to getting right, had been messing up for awhile. Then after I replaced the vac line to the fpr it started acting right. Now its messing up again and I'm thinking its even worse. Before it never actually stalled like it does now. So I'm thinking it must have gotten worse, or the crank sensor finally took its final bow and is dead.

What do you Buick guys think? Could the cam sensor also be maladusted or loose in relation with the crank sensor? I'm thinking I should take this one step at a time.

-Saladin

address the frayed wires first. Did you try tapping on the MAF sensor (car parked - running)? Do you even run a stock maf?

Cam sensor controls injector timing only. It would not start if that was set incorrectly or it wouldn't start well.

Hope you get it figured out!

I did tap on the MAF. I've got two of them. Yes, they're stock. No difference when tapping on the MAF.

Also, I did forget to mention I also got a backfire as well while it was running like this..

I second the frayed wires issue.

When installing the FP lines you could have moved the frayed wires away from what they were touching inadvertantly fixing your problem. One bump on the road and you are back to square one with a miss/stutter problem.

Had same issue with a friends GN and it was the wires going to the crank sensor grounding out on the block.

It was my understanding that once the crank trigger loses a signal the car dies. The cam sensor will trip a limp home mode and then not restart. It goes to batch-fire.

Well, my car starts and runs. The issue is, the minute it is in gear, she cuts off.

So I have a feeling that between me moving the car from point A to point B, it must've moved and yeah, upon the next startup was touching in the wrong spot and began cutting out.

Man, funny how things happen, eh?

Yeah but wouldn't I notice something like that gradually? Or would it be an instant problem?

Also, mind you, the sputtering/etc came back. So I kinda feel its more like a crank sensor going bad..